Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12bolt torque question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I was doing some work on the rear end when I found my pinion nut a bit loose. A friend helping out tightend it just by hand with a small wrench. That only made the pinion not being able to turn at all. Do I need to replace bearings or should that nut not be tight at all?

Thanks in advance.

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Hey im not alone!!!!

mine did the exact same thing!!! almost lost the yoke !!!
    could remove the bolt by HAND!!!!!!

U will need to tear evrything apart to change the "crush sleeve" whit a new one and take a look at the pignon bearing because they will most likely be bad(mine were)
    and build evrything back up!!!!

parts# for the crush sleve is #3954482 (GM) or get a complete kit depending on what u find in there!!!

if u need anything else tell me,if i can i will!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

hope it helped a bit!

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Darn. Well at least it is something I can do myself. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

No prob my man!!!!happy if i helped u /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

have you ever installed a new crush sleeve before? this sleeve establishes the bearing pre-load on the pinion bearings, when you buy it, it is not the correct height, you have to install it on the pinion between the bearings, in the housing and draw it down to "crush" it to the proper size, if you overtighten it the bearing pre-load will be too high and ruin the bearings, also if the inner pinion bearing needs replaced you will need a means of removing the old bearing and installing the new one as it presses onto the pinion. get some guidance or read up on it so you know what to expect when you go to replace it.

6. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Ok. I opened it and replaced the sleeve. Now how tight do I turn the nut. Just until the play is gone or until when I can just turn the pinion?

7. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

try THIS!! they are better than me to explain it !!!!
    If i can helpe u some more give me a call!!!!