Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12bolt w/detroit vs eaton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ChevK5, Feb 28, 2003.

1. 83ChevK5

83ChevK5 Registered Member

Ive got a 12 bolt limited slip rearend thats blown. Im lookin at putting it into to my 83 K5 after i fix it obviously. Should i put a detroit locker or an eaton limited slip?? what are the pros and cons? Also this rearend has 4:11's in it should i use 4:11's and swap out my dana with 4:11's or should i get 3:73's like i have already??

Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifSUPPORT THE TROOPS /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

LoL I never thought I'd say this, but fil out your profile.
    What kind of transmission do you have? Tire Size? Etc.

Well I dont have much experience wiht the detroit. But people have nohting but good things to say. Eaton- its rebuildable so you can bassically run it forever. you can change out the springs the springs to preset the "load" to make it a tighter limited slip or a more loose one. And Its pretty damn strong. I'm sure your road manners will be alot better with the eaton.

With that being said. If you have overdrive and 35's you might wanna consider 4.56 gears. if you dont have overdrive with 35's get 4.10.
    If you're running 33's get 3.73 for no overdrive and 4.10 if you haveoverdriver, unless you plan to run bigger tires eventually then just get 4.10's.

3. 83ChevK5

83ChevK5 Registered Member

I just swaped out my 700 for a th350. The 700 blew! i plan on trimmin my fenders to stuff 35's or 36's on my 4 inch lift. 4:10's sound like the gears to use. thanx