Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12SI to CS144 conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Oct 27, 2004.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Can this be done?

I have an 86 with a 12SI and a 5 rib serpentine belt setup. It's a 350 with Cali Emissions so it has the smog pump, alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor....the whole works. It looks like the bottom bracket that my alternator has will not bolt on to the CS144 case....is there a conversion bracket?

Would I be better off just getting the 140a powermaster from Summit? I am just worried about reliability with this.

There is also a 94A upgrade from the stock 66a, that I was looking at... I just want to make sure to have enough juice for all the truck accessories, plus a few offroad lights.

I also contacted a few alternator shops around my area, and no one could rebuild my current alternator to a larger amperage output....and they did not know what the CS swap would entail...

If the CS swap is the right way to go, what year/vehicle should I get it from? What is the conversion harness number? What is the correct lower bracket?

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

I contacted an alternator shop in my area and they are going to re-build mine and get it at about100amps (I did have to call around a bit to find a place). I have read lots of posts on this subject and it looks like the best and most affordable way is to have it rebuilt. I can not confirm this because I do not know enough about it but I have also read that if you go to high in amps, your belt system may not support and leave you with some squeaking. With your serpentine belt setup, this may not be an issue.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Converting to CS-144 will provide better alternator cooling and more amps without too much trouble. The adapter plug is available online or at the dealer.

As to what it takes to get one bolted in, I haven't got to that part yet.

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Converting to CS-144 will provide better alternator cooling and more amps without too much trouble. The adapter plug is available online or at the dealer.

As to what it takes to get one bolted in, I haven't got to that part yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have read previous posts about the advantages to a CS144....just never saw pics showing what needed to be fabbed to make it fit. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ooh ooh i wanna know too /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I converted my '90 K5 with a 6.2L (v-belt setup) about a year ago. There are probably some differences since mine is a 6.2, but I would think it would be similar.

Bottom bracket: It fits okay, along with the spacer behind it....however the brace/arm coming off the spacer would not bolt up with the alternator so I just left the brace off.

Top bracket: The distance between the upper and lower mounts on the CS144 is larger, so you have to shim the upper bracket up (so the adjustment slot is higher up). I simply stacked some washers under the mounting stud that is on the manifold. I also had to enlarge the adjustment slot because the CS144 used a larger bolt......I simply ran a die grinder through the slot.

Wiring: I bought the $12 or so adaptor harness and plugged it in. I also installed a 4-guage wire from the alternator output directly to the battery.

I was a little worried about the v-belt being able to drive the 140 amp alternator, but so far it has been okay. Upon start up I sometimes get a little belt squeal.....mainly when the batteries are a little low, like if I have been starting the engine several times without letting it run when working on it, etc... The winch will go on this winter which will be the real test.

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I converted my '90 K5 with a 6.2L (v-belt setup) about a year ago. There are probably some differences since mine is a 6.2, but I would think it would be similar.

Bottom bracket: It fits okay, along with the spacer behind it....however the brace/arm coming off the spacer would not bolt up with the alternator so I just left the brace off.

Top bracket: The distance between the upper and lower mounts on the CS144 is larger, so you have to shim the upper bracket up (so the adjustment slot is higher up). I simply stacked some washers under the mounting stud that is on the manifold. I also had to enlarge the adjustment slot because the CS144 used a larger bolt......I simply ran a die grinder through the slot.

Wiring: I bought the $12 or so adaptor harness and plugged it in. I also installed a 4-guage wire from the alternator output directly to the battery.

I was a little worried about the v-belt being able to drive the 140 amp alternator, but so far it has been okay. Upon start up I sometimes get a little belt squeal.....mainly when the batteries are a little low, like if I have been starting the engine several times without letting it run when working on it, etc... The winch will go on this winter which will be the real test.

[/ QUOTE ]

what year and model car did you get the alternator from? Where did you get the wire adapter? Any pics?

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Don't know what application.........I just bought a new Delco 140 amp version and adaptor from alternatorparts.com

Just fair warning, the customer service of that place seems to be questionable............. The guy was very helpful and informative during my initial conversation and order, but after the part was a several days late I couldn't contact anybody via phone or e-mail for 3-4 days. Made me pretty worried but finally got ahold of the guy and parts finally arrived and seem to work good. Since than I've read a few other posts on some boards stating the same thing????

Anyway, you should be able to buy the new alternator at about any shop and the plug, which I believe is a regular Delco part.

9. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know what application.........I just bought a new Delco 140 amp version and adaptor from alternatorparts.com

Just fair warning, the customer service of that place seems to be questionable............. The guy was very helpful and informative during my initial conversation and order, but after the part was a several days late I couldn't contact anybody via phone or e-mail for 3-4 days. Made me pretty worried but finally got ahold of the guy and parts finally arrived and seem to work good. Since than I've read a few other posts on some boards stating the same thing????

Anyway, you should be able to buy the new alternator at about any shop and the plug, which I believe is a regular Delco part.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I have heard about that place....

I guess I could try the 94 trans sport unit, with a DELCO adapter.... I would just like some assurance that this will work...

I did find this:
    http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/html/tas_alt_conv.jsp

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya go buy one and let me know how it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I just did...it fit like a glove....your turn! Tell me how yours works! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Anyone know a solution to this????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

This site has the info you need to do the swap. I got a 120 Amp unit out of like a "95 or so Seville, I think. I just wandered the JY looking in every Caddy fo the one with the most amps. I got the connector too with about 6" of wire still attached. Then I went and bought an Alternator Lead Extender at Kragen. It is Motormite?Conduct-Tite p/n 85098. Iused the female end of the lead extender and spliced it to the connector that I got with the CS144 alternator. As for the resistor, I bnought a pack of 1/2 watt 45amp resistors at Radio Shack. I think I spent like $9.00 total on the parts. I spliced the resistor into the adaptor harness I made. I think the Nova Resource site has the info on where the resistor needs to be. As for the bracket, I modified the lower one as per the instructions on Nova Resource, and I had to bend my upper bracket a bit to get it to fit and have the alternator be able to swing in its arc freely, so that it can be adjusated. I can give you more details on how I made my own harness if you want. I took pics while I did it, too. I've been running it for about 8 months now, with no problems ata all. Next time Pick-n-Pull has a half price weekend, I might go pick up a bunck of high-amp alternators, $15 each is a pretty sweet deal.

14. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I've looked at this site a few times....thanks for your info though.

I do have one question. Is the upper bolt hole on your alternator tapped or is it just a hole. I have been told than you have to use a bolt and nut to fasten the alternator to the upper bracket (the adjustment slot)?!?!?!?

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

It's tapped, but for a metric size, 10mmx1.25, I think. I ended up using a 3/8 bolt with a nut on the back, because I couldnt find the metric bolt that I had nabbed with the alt. Of course, after I had it running for about a week, I found it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif All in all, it was a pretty straightforward and simple install.

16. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Got some info from a non-member: (posted with his permission).

Just bought an alternator from:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/

for my '90 Burban (s-belt 350, alt. on top drivers side). It's a cs144 140 Amp model for $180, same wiring plug as stock, but they bored another hole into the alternator overlapping one of the stock mounting holes so it fits in the stock mount. They even supply the longer bolt necessary to mount it up. It does not use the support on the back. The cs 130 series were not meant to be rebuilt, so theyre a PITA to work on, the 144s are much easier, sturdier, better cooling, hold up to long periods of higher output better, and are easy to rebuild in the future, can be upgraded to dual rectifiers and higher amp output... and it runs my headlights and my stereo simultaneously without the voltmeter gauge steadily falling close to the red zone as I drive...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif