Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12v power supply

Discussion in 'Audio' started by '73 K5, Jul 24, 2003.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

So I've been thinking for a while about getting a 12v power supply to make myself a little testbench out in the garage. I've got a pile of car audio stuff I want to put on eBay, but I want to test it all before I ship it off. So I got on eBay and typed in "12 volt power supply" and got a few hundred hits.
    Thats why I'm here. I don't have the slightest idea what is a good brand and what is a bad brand. That test equipment stuff is not my area of expertise. Anybody have experience with this? What should I buy? And how many amps? I was thinking 30-40 so it could hang with some of the bigger amplifiers I would hook up...does this sound about right?
    THANKS!

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If you just want to test out the stuff to see if it works the easiest and cheapest thing to do is use a spare car battery (lots of amps) or run a 16 guage wire from the one in your truck to the garage (disconnect the terminals from the truck first). A battery charger would also work, as would the power supply out of a computer (it not 30-40 amps but you should be able to test with it) ... lots of things have a 12V supply or were you interested in spending money? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The suggestions the Rampage gave are pretty good.

If you just really want a real power supply then I'd say go with an Astron. 30-40amps will be more than enough for radios and small amps but if you want to test larger amps then you might run into some problems.

The Astron power supplies can be found on ebay pretty easily or from several online stores. They are primarily used for radio transceivers etc so they are filtered pretty well and have little noise on the output voltage.

If you want something a bit bigger I can point you to a link for a 150amp unregulated power supply.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you just want too power the components up too test them, don't waste your money on a power suply. Just use a car batt. Heck, you could buy a car batt. and a trickle charger cheaper then a "Good" power suply.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I guess I should have explained better why I wanted a dedicated power supply. I've used batteries and chargers before to test stuff, but it was usually a PITA. I got spoiled when I used to install fulltime. Our bay had a testbench with a deck and a couple of 5.25's and of course a power supply to run it. During the day we hooked up all kinds of stuff to it to pump some tunes into the bay. I'd kind of like to do that in the garage...use it for a garage stereo...and a test bench. We ran that thing 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and it was still going strong after years.
    Maybe I just need to sneek back in the shop and pop the top off their setup and see what kind of power supply it is. Thanks for all the advice.