Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

134a or "freeze 12"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Aug 17, 2004.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

134a or \"freeze 12\"

Any opinions on whitch i should use? Pros/ cons?
    Both about the same price...

For the of you who dont know what freeze 12 is, its a direct legal replacement for r12 and is very easly obtainable for $5 a 12 oz can

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 134a or \"freeze 12\"

Is Freeze 12 flameable?

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

freeze 12, IIRC, is R12 diluted with propane, so i assume it would be flammable, i dunno. my system was charged with it and my compressor blew the net day, so im not too fond of the stuff. im not sur if it was the mechanic's fault or the fact that the compressor sat for about a year before i had it charged though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

personally id go with 134a

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i asked this same question a while back, i was referred to some stuff called "Red Tek," and quite a few people backed it up, so i think thats what im gonna do, you dont have to replace anything and its compatible with all oil, maybe this will spark some more poeple's brains and they can provide some more info on it...

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Freeze 12 contains no propane or any other flammable liquids what so ever! I have seen three different threads about Freeze12 and everytime someone assumes it has propane.

The reason that it is getting more popular than any other R12 sub. is because of the fact that it's NOT flammable like most substitutes.

I ran Freeze12 for 1 year in my K5 and it worked good. I ran R12 for 1 week and was suprised that I noticed no difference in vent temps. I ran R134 on my second compressor and it didn't work any better than the freeze 12.
    We use Freeze12 in 5 of our semi trucks and it works well in all of them, just as good as R12 did.

Muddysub, it is just quincadence that your compressor blew after installing R12.....After I blew a line and lost all my Freeze12 I fixed it and refilled the system with true R12 hoping for new car like temps....my pump blew up a week later just like yours. I have come to the conclusion that running the pump to recharge the system is very hard on the compressor and will do in an already weak one, mine was a napa rebuilt.

Either way you can't go wrong with Freeze12 and R134, both are decent freeons but if you really want to improve your A/C performance regardless of freeons, install electric fans or an aux. fan. My temps probably dropped 10*-15* at the vent after I went dual electrics. Also the improved air flow pulls down the high side pressures helping all the components live longer.

7. camarossguy2

Thanks for the comments guys. I did a search for "freeze 12" on the site and never found any post.

Anyway i read on some other forums that there were serveral people that was very disapointed with the a/c temps after converting to 134. its was always something like "my r12 system would frost up the windows, now i spent couple $100 doing the conversion the right way and its just cool, not cold"

anyone else found this to be true?

8. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't had my k5 long but i just charged it with freeze 12 and that's what it's been using and i haven't had any problems with it and it's ice cold.

9. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

dont use 134a it wont cool worth a [darn] in your system (without replacing alot of your system).

I have used the freeze 12 in a few trucks & have been very pleased with the results.

10. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]
    dont use 134a it wont cool worth a [darn] in your system (without replacing alot of your system).

I have used the freeze 12 in a few trucks & have been very pleased with the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, just ordered some freeze 12....36 oz+ oil+ lak stop all for $22 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I don't have proof, however when I was researching this same topic I was told that freeze 12 is extremely flamable.. I have read that people have been burned by this stuff.. again don't know this for fact.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have proof,

[/ QUOTE ]You have no proof because it is not flammable.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: the freeze 12 flamability issue..........
    I copyed this right from the Johnsons freeze 12 site
    FREEZE 12"! is non-flammable and contains no CFC'S.
    http://www.freeze-12.com/

Nuff said.

BTW any refridgerant can burn you if it is under pressure and makes contact with bare skin.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

FREEZE 12"! is non-flammable and contains no CFC'S.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Also it says "non-flammable" all over the box the 30lbs bottle comes in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Since you are putting in freeze 12, add an 1oz more oil. freeze 12 needs more oil , because it doesnt lubercate as well as r12, also DO NOT put in stop leak. You will cause more problems than you know. I had an A/C machine break at work because a car came in with stop leak. Not only that, it likes to take out A/C compressors, and does a good job of staying in the lines, and taking out the new compressor you will put on.

Dan

16. camarossguy2

Really??...This dealer who is sending my the freeze 12, pretty much always send leak stop with it. i guess i will see how well my system holds the charge and go from there.

How much oil goues into our K5 systems? and what kinda?

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A new system has 8oz of oil. Are you replacing any parts, or flushing it? You should at least replace your orfice tube and drier. If you flush it, then replace the parts I just mentioned, then put 9oz of oil since you are putting in freeze-12. And once again, so not run stop leak, unless you want to change everything shortly. I just replaced an entire a/c system on a vette, because the guy tried using stop leak. The compressor locked up, and put metal in the system. 2K fit for him

Dan

Dan

18. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

Freeze 12 is a blend of r134a and two other components accordind to a technicians article that I can across.

19. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]
    A new system has 8oz of oil. Are you replacing any parts, or flushing it? You should at least replace your orfice tube and drier. If you flush it, then replace the parts I just mentioned, then put 9oz of oil since you are putting in freeze-12. And once again, so not run stop leak, unless you want to change everything shortly. I just replaced an entire a/c system on a vette, because the guy tried using stop leak. The compressor locked up, and put metal in the system. 2K fit for him

Dan

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I replaced the dryer/accumulator and the orfice tube last night.
    All the tubes looked clean inside.
    Today i will have my work evacuate the system...but i guess i should as some more oil first.

I bought the blazer just recently. the guy who i bought it from said in the past 8 years he only put maybe 3000 miles on it. and he also said the ac workd about 3-4 years ago, but does not work anymore...
    I checked the pressure and it was at maybe 2psi...i jumped the pressure switch and the compressor clicked on, , but squeeked a little for the first 15-20 secs...but is quite now.
    Im thinking maybe just cuz it has not turned on in the past 4 years.
    The orfice tube was clean, lines clean so i thinks its all ok, just has a slow leak.

You think i will be fine? i sprayed a lil dye in there (went up to 3 psi) for a two weeks, but nothing leaked out. then again, the pressure is only a 1/18th of what it should be at

Of corse i replaced the dryer and orfice tube o rings, but nothing else...anything else i should do before pulling a vacume and refilling it?