Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1350 SERIES CV JOINT DRIVESHAFT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Mar 12, 2003.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

today I was quoted $630 to build a driveshaft (rear) with a custom flange on the transfer case that will bolt to a 1350 cv joint, tube, 1 1/2" spline slip end with 1350 yoke to go to the 14 bolt, the guy told my I didn't have to many other options, and if I just extended mine I would go through u joints like crazy becuase of the extreme angle, extreme angle? I only did a shackle flip with zero rates, what set up do you guys have? is this worth it? I have a 205 tc

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

hmm, i got the flip and 0 rates to, all i got is 1350's at the tcase and the 14ff, i havent busted a joint or worn one out yet, of course ive only been on the road with it for 3 or 4 months, but why would he say the angle is so extreme? people are runnin 8-12 inch lifts without CV's, Just have him build you a shaft with 1350's at both ends, Oh yea, buy a ubolt style yoke for the tcase not the cheesy strap style, cant get one for the axle but atleast youll have one on the tcase.

3. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

thats what I was thinking, I got better things to spend my money on, plus my k5 is not even a daily driver, how much was the 1350 yoke that bolts on the 205? I'll need to get a new splined slip that has the 1350 yoke end on it too

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, if u r gonna $pend lots on a driveshaft, get a high angle driveline. Great products and Jess is a great guy too. Cant say enough about his products. For the same price as the local guy there, u could get his high angle 1350 CV at the tcase and 1410s at the axles...

j

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running 8" of lift on a 79 shortbox chevy and I have a standard 2 Ujoint rear driveshaft. It has 1350 Ujoints in it. I broke one and it was a NAPA brand. I now run 1 year warranty Autozone Brute Force Ujoints in the rear. I swap them out every 10-11 months. I haven't had any problems, but they aren't greaseable without disassembly and they have a rough life in my truck.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

that 205 yoke was like 30 bucks give or take, i cant remember..... i see that 1410's were mentioned above, thats a big ass u joint, i opted to go with the 1350's because i asked a friend awhile ago why he didnt just go with 1410's and he said "i would rather bust a ujoint then a driveline" just make sure when you buy that 205 yoke you tell them you want the ubolt stlye......

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like others have said, talk to Jess at high angle drivelines. Don't even think about going with the quote you got till you talk to Jess, he will steer you right...

9. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

Jessie quoted me $540 to my door, I think I'd rather spend the extra dough just to have the guys down the street do it, that way if there is any problem I won't have to ship it back, I checked and the shaft will be running a 17 degree angle do you guys think thats too much just to run a single joint?

10. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

as for Jess, you wont have any trouble trust me. And if you do he will set i straight prolly better\faster than the "guys down the street". /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with 86', I would pay *MORE* to have Jess do it. I can get it done right down the street from where I live by a guy who advertises as a big shot heavy duty 4x4 shaft shop. He is known as AZ-Drivelines, and a few other names. But his stuff is junk if you ask anyone who knows them. Jess does some of the best work in the industry, including many competition rigs. And it is VERY rare that he has a problem, but every time I've heard of a problem, he is all over it and usually has it taken care of within 24 hours if it's his fault. I've even heard of him sending out shafts next day air at his expense when it was the person who ordered it that screwed up the measurements and info...

Do what you want to do, you gotta make the decisions that work for you. But, whatever little reputation I may have, I’ll put behind Jess all the way… He *will* get my business every time…

12. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I'm sure high angle does excellent work but the guys down the street, general driveshaft, have proven themselves to me already, today they showed me there flange typeyoke that goes to the 205 for a cv, solid billet, they told me before they use to make them, they bought the one from high angle that is supposivly patented, and it was a flange welded on to the spline part that bolts to the 205, they checked the run out and it had .030" of wobble in it, for an extra hundred bucks I think I'll go with the local guy. but believe me if I lived closer to high angle I would definently go with them, they have some trick looking sh*t on there web sight, thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I got a 1350 cv shaft from Jess at HAD. Great guy, great service. I will buy my next driveshaft from him.

As for the welded flange...
    Mine isn't It is thick as hell and I have zero vibration w/ 4.56 gears.

Like others I would pay more to get a Driveshaft from Jess.

On the other hand...
    I wouldn't think you would need a new driveshaft. 14B's have a longer pinion than 1/2 ton axles and shackle flips often move the wheels forward in the wheel wells. Just buy a combo U-joint from NAPA and see if it works.

The nice thing about going to a CV shaft is that after a shackle flip the pinion is pointed almost right at the t-case. If you want to run a stock 2 joint shaft you will need to shim down the pinion ALOT.

14. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

they bought on from the guy in arizona he's welding those - not me -mine are patented not supposidly- they are- usd 426,256s - and there not welded -Jess

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

17 degrees is really pushing it for a single joint. I think 13 is supposed to be max but something small like 8 is recommended. That could be for 1/2-ton stuff, though. I run 12-13, I think and I get maybe a year from a joint. Good thing they are lifetime warranty. Those guys should really get under your truck before giving you a U-joint warranty.

Back to the point: why do you have so much angle? Is it the same angle at the T-case and the Pinion? Is your only rear lift a 4" shackle flip? If you did a shackle flip and didn't shim the spring packs are reweld the spring pads, your rear angle is probably MUCH smaller than your front angle.

16. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they told me before they use to make them, they bought the one from high angle that is supposivly patented, and it was a flange welded on to the spline part that bolts to the 205, they checked the run out and it had .030" of wobble in it,

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like somebody feeding you a load of sh!t. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but believe who you want. my highangle drivlines 1350 CV will be the last rear shaft i ever have to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

If you got a patent you should check because they are selling them, the welded thing is just what the dude told me, I'm second guessing buying from him though a $100 is alot of money for me now, as for someone said something about the flip bringing it closer, I made zero rates that set the axle back an inch, $ 540 is pretty damn good, I'll most likely role with that, thanks for the low quote Jess

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

As soon as my tax money comes in, I'm going with Jess's Shaft! I wrote him an email and he was right on it at Midnight!!!!! That's what I call service! Jess will always treat you right and I think that shop down the street is just pushing a sale! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I got my shaft from Jesse too, right around $750 WITH the e-brake setup, so it would be less than the quote you got. Very high quality stuff, I'd buy from him again. </font>