Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1350CV to factory 208 CV flange (front output)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 1, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Will a 1350 CV bolt to the stock 208 CV flange? I am thinking about making a square front shaft and would like to upgrade to 1350 CV and 1410 on the axle. Is this not an economical way to do it? I cannot afford a HAD shaft right now. I might just make a square one with what I got and when my drivelines are final then I will get HAD to make me some and tell the wife I "NEED" them:D . Thanks for any input.

Ira

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it doesn't, redrill the flange or have it redrilled.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess I could rotate it 45 deg and fit a 1350 CV pattern on the same flange eh?:D

Ira

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

or you could buy a 1350cv flange ;) i tried putting my 1350cv shaft onto the front of my 208 and the pilot thing was a different size so it wouldnt go over it. i believe the bolts did line up tho.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am trying to not spend alot on this Tcase. Can I use a 1350 CV flange for a 208 on a 205? I do not know the spline count on a 208 front output. Also there are 2 different size pilots on 1350 CVs they are about .5" different I think. I know it does not make any sense to say I dont want to spend much money and talk about 1350 CVs at the same time but if there is a way to make the parts work with a 205 or other tcase when I do change things out it would be better in the long run.

Ira

6. muddybuddy

i understand you on not trying to spend much on the 208. do you have the 1350 cv already? the 1350cv i was using was off a stupid-duty, and apparently you have to ream the pilot for it to work on the stock flange. im not sure if they are all like that. i think the easiest thing to do is physically try it and then go from there.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope no CV yet I was thinking of seeing how much one would cost. I will have to buy a 1410 for my 60 as well as one for the axle end of the shaft. This is all in the planning phase right now I am just trying to get info and see if it is feasable for what I want or after I buy parts and tubing will I already be in a custom shaft ya know? I could always make a square 1310 stock style shaft and just run it till it breaks.:D

Ira

8. muddybuddy

im still running my stock shaft with a conversion u-joint haha....yikes. so far its held up but its just for now until i can afford to build the doubler and get a real front shaft.

FYI the ford super-duty shaft that i got is 1350cv and 1350 joint, and it looks like it is going to be the perfect length for the rear driveshaft once the doubler is in place... only paid $145 shipped for it off ebay. cant complain. i also got the 1350 flange from HAD so it should work out nicely. once you eventually go fixed yoke id recommend checking that option out.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You can do it one of two ways.

You can by a new CV flange that will match the pilot on the 208 flange.

The pilot on a 208 front output is pretty big. 3.125 IIRC. Most of the 1350 CV flanges that we'll come across have a 2" pilot.

The other way is to pull the flange from your 208 and machine the pilot to match whatever CV flange you have. You'll also have to machine the face of the pilot on the 208 flange to match the depth of the pilot on the CV flange. I know becuase I did this on my K20 while I worked for Jesse at HAD.

[​IMG]

10. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

you actually will have to use the 2 11/16 pilot c/v and as Joe said machine the flange- HEY JOE are you every going to call or SHOW UP MAN ? Jess

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 205, I machined the flange to fit the c/v.
    I bought the 1350 c/v from Sam Winer motors for $160.

[​IMG]

Looking at the 208's in the shop..
    I can't see any reason why you can't go to a local machine shop and have them turn it on the lathe.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

But will a 208 flange bolt up to a 205? I am thinking I might jusr have to build the CVs and yokes that are stock and just wait until I change my drivetrain and get custom shafts made. Jess does good work but I just cannot afford $1200 in shafts right now:( .

Ira

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, different spline count..
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

The 208 flange you have now, can be modified to fit the c/v.
    It may be best if you worked with your present driveshaft parts,
    until you can afford the parts.

I'm gonna have about $600 into my shafts and yokes.
    I've been collecting parts for 2 years. I found a 1410 driveshaft at swap meet for $10, purchased 1410 yokes from Jesse ($275)and purchased a 1350 c/v from Sam Winer ($160). That doesn't include the 1/4" thick DOM tube I'm building the shafts from.

14. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I thought that 208/241 front outputs were 32 spline.