Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14.00R20 XLs vs 12.5R20 XLs--K5 Mog Buildup!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL14BLAZ, Jul 23, 2003.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Picked four of these [​IMG] up last night for my K5. The bigger one is a 48" Michelin XL military tire and the little one (41") is the same tire that I was running on my K5. It will take awhile to get them on the K5, I'm putting a set of unimog 406s underneath my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Should be a real learning experience as well I have never done anything like this before. Going to keep the simple leaf sprung setup at first with some anti-wrap bars. Then eventually do a four link front and rear with coilovers.

I will keep everyone updated as I make major progress. That is if anyone is intrested.

Eric

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Mog axles, huh? will you be modifying them yourself? why did you elect to go with the 406 over the 404?

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

No I won't be modifying them soley by myself, I've got a good friend that is going to be doing most of the work and I will be the student.

I chose the 406 over the 404s for a couple of reasons. First is strength issues, the 406 is bigger in everyway. If I ever put big block power I don't want to have to worry about the 48s breaking any axles shafts or portal parts. Second I've been talking to several people over the past couple of months that run the mogs on various vehicles and most recommended the 406s or U1300 for my application.

Eric

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, the 406 is a much stronger unit, but the mods are also more extensive, right? adapting the 406 for leafs should be interesting! keep us posted and take lots of pics /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    DAMN!

I understand the 404 axles has some cooling issues if you try to run them hwy speeds for extended times. 404 truck might hit 65 with a tail wind down hill but most can only maintain 55mph is what I have read. I have read that many people are hooking up a pump arangement on the diffs and running the gear oil through a cooler to deal with it.

Does the 406 have the same issues? I think the 406 had a little more hwy bias to them. Heck the 48's will get the axle speed down. WHat's the final drive ratio? I Think the 404 was something like 7.02.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

7.56 are the ratio's

the 48's will help, but that is alot to make up for!

assuming a TH350/TH400 and no overdrive, at 3000 RPM's your looking at 56 MPH.

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I figured you had something going on when I made my bid to get you’re 1 tons in my garage.

That’s going to be a good project…looking forward to the updates. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

This is not being built to still drive to Utah and back. I will still drive it short distances, but nothing too far.

Zakk is right the final ratio is 7.56. I haven't decided whether to stay with an auto or switch to a manual. Either way I go there will be a doubler behind the tranny. The 700 that is in there now is pretty fresh ( only has like 20Kon the rebuild ) so that would be the easiest way to go right now. Also I would still have that overdrive for that short distance to the nearest wheeling spot. I'm still looking into a 465/doubler swap as well. Just haven't decided yet.

I will take plenty of pics of everything we do and post them as we go along.

Eric

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the 700R set up would be the ticket, IMHO.

at 65 MPH you would be turning 2400 RPM's wich is fine. I'm turning 3000 with 40" tires and a Th350

Add the doubler, and your crawl is insane, to the tune of 182:1 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And to swap a 203 onto the back of your 700, all you need is the tailshaft conversion piece, which is simple compared to a manual swap.

I'd go 700R, unless you got a NV4500 or something laying around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Man whyd you have to post that pic it makes my 12.5s look like little weenie tires. Have you ever seen anybody run them backwards? Sure looks like they would pull better that way. Wonder if they would work OK on the street ran backwards. I will talk to my bud and try to make plans for him to pick them up towards the end of the week.

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Don't know about running them backwards, might work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Yeah they make those 41s look like a 31" tall tire. Just let me know when your buddy can meet up.

Eric

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whacha doin' with the 41s?

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Sold them to Toledo. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

how wide are those 14.50s?

15. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how wide are those 14.50s?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the 14.00s, If I remember right theay are 14.7 inches wide that is the tread width. I would have to measure the actual tire to get the sidewall from sidewall width.

Eric

16. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I just got my pinion conversions for my 406's today - Ive got a pair of fronts waiting for my time. I plan on running the 395/85 michelin XLs on the stock 11x20 mog rims until I can afford some 20" double beadlocks. Another bonus to 406's is the newer ones came stock with discs, which saves about $2500 over converting 404's, although the pinion conversion is $350 ea versus 180 ea for the 404s. The brakes are freakin HUGE with 2 seperate calipers on each wheel. I plan on running an nv4500 and 241 which will put the driveline on the ford side.

17. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Damn Damn Damn with my 44 boggers I feel like the kid around the block with the 31 inch Mudkings. Damn Im jealous. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

And there for a second i had some small hope i was only going to be half the size of the big rigs in my luv on 27s /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It should be cool to have a moggin k5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

What type of suspension are you going to be running? You doing leaf springs, four link w/coilovers or coils with shocks separate?? What have you done,if anything, about narrowing these axles? Do you plan to cut them down at all or are you running them stock width? Got any pics of what you've done so far? Sounds like your going to have a pretty cool setup. I'm still going to use my single beadlock 20x9 Staz Works wheels. When I dismounted the 41s that inner bead was not coming off real easy. I wound up taking them to a local tire store to get them off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

weren't you on 33's about a year ago??? Big changes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif