Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14.8 e.t. in my Bully Dog powered 2006 Dodge 3500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Jul 3, 2006.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

There was a car show here in Fayetteville, NC on Saturday, so we took all the big trucks (DROP JAW hosted it....lowriders lol)

Anyway, they opened the track so I decided to run my Dually (which was hooked up to the gooseneck)

Specs-

2006 Dodge 3500 dually, crewcab, 4x4, 5.9 Cummins, Bully Dog (with Crazy Larry upgrade), AirRaid Intake, stock exhaust.

My reaction at the lights was .993 (sux), and I crossed the line at 14.8 at 92 mph

Here is a pic in the burn out pic. Actually, it is a pic of the 20 x 16 poster I had made!!

[​IMG]

DSCF1055.JPG

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That Crazy Larry dowload is pretty wild. I take it it's a manual for that kind of time?

If it's an auto I would think you should be fairly faster than that. Definantly very low 14's. I'm supposed to be in the very high 14's myself, going off from what other people have ran with similar parts.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what kind of EGTs with a stock exhaust behind that program?

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Automatic....I just brought the revs up with my foot on the brake, then hammered it when the last yellow faded. I left the loine in 4 hi, then when it shifted, pushed it up in to 2 hi.

I believe you are right, and that I should be able to bring it down some more. Also, the engine was not at operating temperature (I am not sure if it matters much or not). Plus, when I left the line, I just hammered it and held on. I did not try to shift or anything. The Crazy Larry program does a pretty good job at shifting it in to the sweet spot.

Like I stated above, had I not been on FUMES, I would of made another pass or two.

Sled-I dont know, I dont have my Outlook monitor hooked up yet.

ROb

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

14's in something that size is amazing! I thought my Daytona QC was a fast truck but that's only in the 15's! Good job!

6. rjfguitar

Not really, I was just up at the Norcal diesel rally a few weeks back. There was a 5psd Cummins Dodge that turned an 11.6....:D

7. southernspeed

:( Now my Ram seems real s-l-o-w:doah: I didn't get a deisel as I wanted something 'a bit lively'.
    note to self......do your homework before blowing $30,000+ :doah: :D

8. rjfguitar

Wait....you didn't order a Cummins because you wanted something lively??....:laugh:

9. southernspeed

Always been a V8 gas man! All I know of diesels is slow, heavy , rattly engines....guess things have changed a bit eh?!!
    There was just something about that word 'Hemi' that amde me part with my cash!:D

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

changed quite a bit. A buddy of mine had a 500+HP Twin Turbo Crew Cab Dodge he just sold to a local Jeep Resto company. That thing hauled.

All of my friends are big diesel guys puting down some good power from theres, but I'm still a V8 gas man. I love Diesels but nothing makes my heart skip a beat like a gas motor at 8 grand :)

11. southernspeed

8 grand...oh yeah!!!!:bow: Winston cup car on full chat at Talladega! Looking forward to seeing/hearing and touching some serious race cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend!:D
    I've got the hemi shifting at 6300 and it's awesome.:D

12. rjfguitar

Uh, yeah things are different, and have been for a number of years. The good ones still rattle, like a real engine should.

The build up potential of a stock Cummins/Dmax is unmatched by any gas engine.

I don't understand why people get all hot and bothered over the new Hemi motor. I don't see how it has any advantages over the 5.3 and especially 6.0 Vortec motors. No apparent rotating assembly strength advantage, and no power advantages. It is the only gas engine option in 3/4t and 1 ton trucks. The older V10 was a better motor for those applications, since the Hemi can't hardly pull at those weights, not like the big V10 could.

What got people all wet over a hemi years and years ago was what they were capable of, not what they neccessarely were stock from the factory. Infact, the 440 six pack cars were faster than the Hemi versions. It was the fact that the Hemi would stay together and make way more power than a normal 440 could. The Hemi block could take so much more.

I don't see the same characteristic in the new small block version. I've driven a Hemi 1/2ton 2wd. I wasn't impressed.:frown1:

Anyway, lots of diesel guys prefer that the majority think diesels are still slow, clunky, stinky work horses. They laugh when you are at the light, but quit when you start building 20lbs of boost at the line with black smoke bellowing.:thumb:

13. southernspeed

Yeah, the more i read about diesel hop ups the more I like the idea of them but they'll never sing like a gas V8.
    Only reason I have a Ram instead of a Chevy is that I really don't like any of the modern Chevy trucks from a purely looks point of view. I really like the way the Ram looks and with a programmer on the hemi it puts a grin on my face! I originally wanted a 350 dually but it won't fit in my drive way or on many of our roads over here!

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes, you are partly correct. The 440 six pack was faster then a stock Hemi but.. every Hemi left the factory way out of tune. The 425 HP number of the stock Hemi was a little off too but looked good on paper for insurance. When Ray Barton first opened his new shop in Pa. I got a personal tour because he is good friends with a friend of mine. Anyhow he said with a proper tune 550HP was more realistic.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off I love diesels especially the Cummins . But there's some things/places that a diesel just can't hang . Like muddin' and Duning there weight and lack of Rpm kills them

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You need to read the original post again......he ran a 14.8 while still connected to his gooseneck trailer!!!!!

It's much more impressive when you realize that!!!!!

:usaflag:

17. rjfguitar

They don't need to rap up, they make more torque at adle than a small block does in it's powerband. It's all about where the powernband is at. The small blocks pull harder in that high end, which is a fairly neat SOP feeling, but so is rolling in the torque hard at 1,400rpms and pulling like crazy through the entire powerband.

I agree that the Rams look a lot nicer than the Chevies. Hopefully GM does something soon and redesigns that silly front end. The 2006 Rams look great IMHO.

18. rjfguitar

You'd be suprised. Mudding I can kind of see what you are saying, but in the Dunes look out.

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen bombed diesels out in the dunes...
    What am i looking out for? :wink1:

20. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the holes they leave after they try to dig to china in the sand because of all the Low end