Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 b ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by t's85chevyk5, Jan 31, 2004.

1. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

is $200 a good price on a 14 bolt ff? It has 4.10 gears i believe /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

it is if it has good brakes and is otherwise complete, big brakes are expensive to redo if they need replacing, expect to spend almost 150 to redo them if they are shot.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

bolt in is easy if from a 3/4 ton truck. if not, then it should be in great shape. Pull the cover and look for any
    visible gear wear or damage.

4. t's85chevyk5

i think its been sitting for a few years, so you bring up a good point. A guy from work was going to sell it to me. Im interested cause i think i feel my gov loc going out and i cant justify dumping money into a new carrier for the crappy ten bolt

5. t's85chevyk5

it is from a 76 3/4 ton chevy. My concernis will 15 inch wheels fit in there

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

for 200 bucks, tell him to remove all the drum brake stuff himself and to buy you the az-kickin disc brake brackets..
    id offer 100 bucks, it will bolt right in, and with the disc brake kit, you can clear 15"s...

7. t's85chevyk5

how much does the rear disc set up cost?

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    for 200 bucks, tell him to remove all the drum brake stuff himself and to buy you the az-kickin disc brake brackets..
    id offer 100 bucks, it will bolt right in, and with the disc brake kit, you can clear 15"s...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what i would do also. If you have to do brakes, would be a good time to do disc.

9. Confedneck

80+15 shipping for the brackets, bolts and spacers from azkickin,
    AZ Kickin Offroads 14bff kit
    we have this installed on my buddy (chevy4wd)'s truck, the pieces are seriously stout and HIGH quality..

10. t's85chevyk5

thats w/ loaded calipers and rotors?

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

If you buy everything new for the disc set-up it should be under $200 including brakets, pads, calipers, rotors, bolts, hoses and lines, and new wheel studs. It depends on local prices on this stuff though.

12. Confedneck

no.. you still have to buy those, so for say, 200 bucks or so you can have complete rear disc setup..and its worth it.. but to run 6 lug you need wheel adapters and also need to have the 14bff hubs and axle shafts turned down to fit most 15" wheels..

13. t's85chevyk5

i just anwered my own question , nevermind that last comment. thanks

14. t's85chevyk5

im a student and am just wondering about the most cost effectiv thing to do with my rear end.

15. Confedneck

as for cost effective compared to longjevity, there is no other option i would consider...14bff all the way

i was also a student not too long ago.. and when i blew out my 10 bolt govlovk, i replaced it with a 12 bolt rear i got for 50 bucks, and sold parts off the other 12 bolt i got shafts from and made money on the swap.. otherwise i would have gone 14bff, but being my DD, the chevrolet had to be back on the road asap, and as cheap as possible..

if you have downtime, and the funds, i would definately do the 14bff swap with disc brakes.. you wont regret it..

16. t's85chevyk5

another concern would be the front gears if i went w/ that 10 bolt. if i changed the ring and pinion to 4.10s would i have to get a new carrier. But it is hard to tear up a 14b ff with a 305. it would last me a while and i want to put a vortec 350 in this summer. i dont think that 10 bolt would be very fond of 300 hp or so.

17. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I would definatly do the disc set=up before re-doing the drums. I too am a poor student and after wheeling with drums and chewing them up once a year at $40 a set for shoes plus any of the other crap it got way expensive. New pads are what $10. and it takes like 5 min. to change them out. The ultra cheap way to do it is find some caliper brakets and calipers from the bone yard off a dana 44 front and weld em on the 14 bolt. Also, check around on rotor prices. They jumped around from $35-$60 at different parts stores. My burb stops better now with one tons and 40's then it did stock. Hope this helps to get yet another 14 bolt some stopping power /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. Confedneck

what gears do you have now?? my 350 doesnt make 200 hp, not anywhere near it and i blew up a 10 bolt.. it all depends on your style of driving as well..

19. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Oh and pull the cover and make sure it doesnt have a sh!tty Gov-Loc in it either.

20. Confedneck

govlock in a 14bff is a MAJOR improvement over its 10 bolt bretheren.. trust me, theres a chevrolet in town with a stout 350 and a 14bff with govlock and it survives just fine..