Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 b full floater ? Crazy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Sep 28, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Is this crazy? Last night laying in my bed dreaming about K5's I thought of this. Could I put a wheel spacer that goes from 8 lug to six lug on a 14 bolt ff and keep my 15" 6 lug wheels in the front and back? Has anybody done this? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Doubt the rim center would fit over the hub on a FF14. There was a 6 lug SF14 made. Still a C-Clip but much stronger than a 10 or 12. Came in 3/4 tone and HD 1.2 ton trucks and Burbs in the late 80's and pretty well through the 90's and then some. I think the H2 is running the SF14.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about keeping the 6 lug front axle when I do the 14 blt. swap and using 6 to 8 lug adapters. Only problem is that I couldnt find anyone who makes them. All the companies I found only do adapters with the same number of lugs.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Grim Reaper is right, you can not fit the adaptor for a six lug over the hub of the FF14 and it stick too far out so that is not an option.
    I would go with a Semi Floating 14 if I can find one, but for now I am sticking with my 12 and might consider a full floating conversion.
    IceMan

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 14 bolt sf on my rig right now while I wait for the FF. you can check my webshots if your not sure what it will look like in your rig. it lets you keep your rims and tires, so itll do.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've been contemplating this for a year now..

The hub on a 14FF is 4.5" in diameter. The hub (OK, ears) on a SF is 3.5" in diameter. Most stock wheels barely fit over the 3.5" hub.

Aftermarket wheels are pretty commonly found with 4.2" holes in them (so you can use centercaps). I've heard of people taking a 14FF hub, machining them down to 4.17", and using IFS rotors.

My current plans are to machine the front of my hubs down as small as I can go and then machine the backside down to the point where I can fit 1/2 ton SFA rotors on it. There's no reason to run 3/4-1 ton disk brakes on the back. Plus, it'd be mighty cool to be able to do a brake job by buying four new rotors and two sets of pads.

I'd heard on CK5 that someone sells brand spanking newly machined 6 bolt 14FF hubs. I don't know who, or how much, but it'd be mighty awesome. I'd easily spend $200 to save my time of sitting at the neighbor's lathe. I'd pay even more if they made hubs that used different bearings and races so that the hub diameter was down to 3.5".

EDIT: mi no spel. hopefully the spelling errors are gone now.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Donovan does the 14FF-machined-to-6-lug conversion. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Nice truck you got there. After reading the posts I think i will go for the SF, let me know if you want to sell yours when you get the FF.