Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt - 10.5 - 5.13 Thick Gear Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I just received my new 5.13 gears for my 14 bolt. I ordered the thick gears, and am concerned that they many not be. There is a sticker on the outside of the box that says 5.13X (the x is for thick). On the styrafoam inside the box, it only says 5.13, with no x. The gears are stamped 5.13 with no x. I am assuming that there is a particular dimension on the ring (if it is laying flat with the bolt holes on the bottom, and the gear slots facing up) that makes it a thick gear. I am measuring from the top of the gear slots to the bottom where the bolt holes are. This dimension is 1 11/16". Can someone please let me know if i have the right gears?
    thanks,

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Why don't you call the place you ordered them from and ask to compare part #s?

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

By your dimensions that sounds about right - it has been a long while since I have seen a thick 5.13 gear set.
    The last thick set I got had the word "thick" on the box but I can not remember what manufacturer it was .
    Calling the place you got them from might save you some heartache at assembly time . Get someone on the phone that knows what they are talking about - a lot of times the phone jockey is just reading what to say on a computer screen and has no real world knwledge.
    Good luck ! Tom

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

I guess i should have mentioned that i called the place, and the weekend skeleton crew had no idea. They said that the techs would be in on monday. I was just wondering if anyone happened to know the dimension. Thanks for your replies.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Keep this thread near the top this weekend - maybe someone that has a gear set not installed will see it and get a true measurement for Ya' .
    Good luck !
    Tom

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what brand? ive got genuine 5.13 thick gears and mine are 5.13x too. the dimensions u gave sound right to me

7. 4wheelin4Jesus

thats exactly what i have (genuine gear, 10.5/5.13 gears)

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im gettin them installed on wednesday :D so i'll let u know how it goes

9. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Did you order the thick gears because you have the small carrier (4.10 and below). Are these the type of gears needed for this of carrier?

10. 4wheelin4Jesus

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that all 5.13s for 4.10 and down 14 bolts used "thick"/"standard" gears. IIRC The guy at PORC explained to me that since 5.13s never came stock that if you had to order them for a 4.56 and up they cost more and you'll actually be buying a thin gear.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Boz42 just installed my Genuine Gear thick 5.13s last Saturday. I agree that the measument you gave sounds right. I went from 3.73 to 5.13 and the gear thickness difference was very obvious. You'll know if they're right as soon as you pull the cover by looking at the old gears.