Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt 11.5"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ive seen where a 14 bolt rear end with an 11.5 inch ring gear is listed several times recently but ive never heard of one before and never seen one. Does anyone know anything about them at all? Im just interested to know what they came in and what they look like. It seems like they must be very rare or nearly non-existent because I would think I would have seen them in some rock crawlers or something by now. Also, I have been trying to find some information I once read that showed the differences in all types of rear ends that have came in various makes of trucks that included Dana rear ends, but I seem to have lost the link. Does anyone know of such a site? Im trying to find information on Dana rear ends just to compare to other rear ends and so I can identify one if I see one.

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

well the reason rock crawlers wouldent use them is because a 14bff 10.50 ring gear is pretty much indestructable as it is.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Not only is a 14bFF w/ 10.5 ring gear plenty strong, the 11.5 doesnt exactly have many gearing/locker options.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They are in the '01 and up duramax, big block trucks and duallies. my '03 with a small block still has a 10.5.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wouldent the bigger gear make the pinion gear that much smaller? or is it the other way around?

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I know you own a dealership, but I thought only dooleys and duramax's had them, even the 8.1's have the 10.5", surburban or truck.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Nope, 8.1 trucks have them too. I just remember that any truck any 2500 with an allison has the 11.5".

8. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

My 8.1L w/ allison had 14bolt with 10.5" ring gear. I think only duramax get the 11.5" I miss that truck.:frown1:

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

'01 and up 2500HD trucks with the 8.1 engine definitely get the 11.5" axle.

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Agreed.

11. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So what about them in older trucks though? If I remember correctly, im pretty sure that in my 73's owners manual it lists it as an available rear end. Ive never seen an older truck with that rear end. Ive seen old dualies with big blocks that had the 10.5" so what would they have came in? Or was it maybe just an option that was rarely used? Also, I was just wondering, what differences are there in newer model 14 bolts from the older ones? I didnt think newer ones had 10.5" ring gears because the 80's models went to a smaller ring gear and didnt have FF axles. Are both of the 14 bolt models still availabe and are the newer ones as strong as the older ones?

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

no there is no "old" 11.5 14 bolt.

in the 67-72 years, you could get an optional 11,000 lb capacity rear axle (only in the one tons), with a 12.25" ring gear. but not in 73+, afaik.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

THe AAM 14BFF 11.5" is a brand new rear end. There was never an option for it in an older vehicle because it did not exist. That is a new rear end found under new HD trucks. THe biggest rear end that was available in the 70's, 80's, and 90's was either a D70 or 14BFF 10.5". The Eaton axles that were used in some of the pre '73 trucks were big but they were not used in the next generation trucks.

THe 14BFF 10.5" was used plenty in the 80's behind big block engines and 1 ton versions. You are just thinking of the 14BSF that was used in LD3/4 trucks. THe 14BFF was still used in many applications.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Step Vans had big axles...

We sold a few of those 11,000 lb full floaters out of "P" series step vans(the ones like a UPS truck)at the junkyard I worked at--I dont know the size of the ring gear,but they had a HUGE pumpkin!--one guy said they will bolt right in to a pickup (73-87)they had the same spring pad location and shock mounts...one of them was a 4.56 ratio,the other was supposedly 6.17's!!(not sure about that though,I took the customers word for it!)...All I know is they weighed a lot more than a 14 bolt FF axle from your typical pickup!!--and looked like they would handle ANY amount of power you could put to them!...:crazy:

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:ears: ??

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No they definetly dont. My teacher and my friend with burbs with the 8.1, and avalanches, all have the 10.5"

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I wish they could be nice and put them in the 6.0 HD's.:(

18. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about this list, or a different one?

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

19. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Did you read what I wrote?

20. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Thanks txfiremank5, I forgot where I saw that, I should have looked on this site lol I didnt think to. Ok so the 11.5" rear end is a new rear end. I swear that I saw an optional rear end in my owners manual that had an 11.5" rear end. I know that I saw one that was bigger than the 10.5" 14 bolt, it may not have said it was 11.5". Ill have to look at it tomorrow and see. So the 10.5" was used for many years, but were there any changes to it? Or could you swap the rear end out of a newer truck into an old model and it would be the same? Also, did Dana ever put a bigger rear end in a pickup that was bigger than a Dana 70? Ive heard of a Dana 80 being in a truck before I think, but ive never actually seen one before. And is the Dana 60 the biggest front end put in pickups?
    Edit: I went to Dynatrac's web site and saw that the Dana 80 had an 11.5" ring gear. Does anyone know when the Dana 80 came about and what years and applications it was put in? I know someone who has a big Dodge six pack with a big block in it and they said they thought it had a Dana 80 rear end but ill have to look for sure.