Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt 6 lug with 6 lug disk brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Jul 10, 2002.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, I know many of you have put 14 bolt full floaters with disk brakes under your vehicles. Some of you have put disks under. Fewer have gone to 6 lug. I need you six lug guys' help.

I'm wondering if this will work:
    1. Stick the hub on a lathe and turn it down to 3.5" (or whatever the size hole is on a 6 lug wheel--seems like the 14FF has a 4.5" size and a ten bolt is 3.5") and use allen bolts for the hub dustcap.
    2. Take a disk from a 6 lug ten bolt front end and stick it on there.
    3. Drill new holes for the 6 lug rotor and stick new studs in.
    4. Make brackets to fit old calipers from a 77 C20. I'm pretty sure these calipers were the same for 1/2 and 3/4 both 2wd and 4wd. I could be wrong.

The axle and the calipers would be coming off the same truck.

Can I chew that much material off the hub? Does the offset (width of the axle) turn out correct using half ton rotors without spacers? In other words, are the mounting surfaces for my wheels going to be the wrong width?

Do you guys have a better solution? I'd rather not run 8 lug rotors because I don't want to have to drill every time I want to do a brake job.

Thank you for your time
    -Brian

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't turn a 14FF hub to 3.5" on a lathe. You will take off too much material. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I can't remember the correct diameter, but it's the 4" range to machine the hub down to.

Most aftermarket wheels, like aluminum, have a larger center bore for the center caps. This size of the hole is what you should machine the hub down to.

Donovan on this site did this job, but he used drum brakes. Don't know what to tell you about the disc brakes though.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

No chance of fitting my stock pro-rally wheels on there, eh? That's kind of disappointing.

Do you think I can get away with removing 1/4" of material all the way around so I can get it down to 4"? I'm pretty sure all aftermarket wheels I've seen have a 4" or bigger hole in them. blazer72 made a post about what he did but I imagine he did it just so his wheels would fit (in other words, I don't know how small he went). And I want to make it so that I can stick a rotor on there without machining it first.

I suppose once I get done doing body work and painting this week I can finish gutting the donor truck and then take a closer look at the axle.

I was hoping to get some ideas before I start butchering the axle and get disappointed with my findings.

4. thatK30guy

Now that I remember it, someone on the POR site did the same thing and used a 1/2 ton rotor to bolt it to the back of the 14FF bearing hub. They had to redrill the 6 holes in the 14FF bearing hub though. Just used studs pressed in from the back of the rotor thru the hub.

I'm not sure the exact dimensions of the center bore hole.

Are you a member of POR? If not, go register and post this question up on that site. You will get much better and faster replies about this conversion. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">That's Ken Brown's truck, I posted those pics on POR. He did it pretty much the same way you described. I think the center hole needs to be 4.175"

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What, exactly, is POR? The only POR I know is paint-over-rust kind of POR.

Pressing 6 studs out of a rotor every time I do a brake job sounds a lot more pleasing than visiting the friendly lathe to me. hehe.

Thanks

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Cool. At least I know I can machine it down to that small.

"I do believe I gots me a plan for me 14FF"

8. thatK30guy