Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt adjustment rings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

im trying to take out my ring gear and beat and pried you name it.
    i did a search and read something about adjustment rings where are they im kind of confused

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

On either side of the bearing cap there is a ring that has holes in it. That ring is threaded into the housing. Turn it clockwise or counter clockwise (depending on the side) and it will loosen the preload on the bearings and it will come right out. It you are careful and count the number of times you rotate each ring you will have minimal effort setting the gears up.

Ira

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

on the side of the carrier next to the bearing there are threaded adjusters that go into the housing, marke the postion there in then use a screw drive to lossen them up

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You should see two bent wire type things with a bolt through each. One on each side of the carrier. Remove those, the wire bits actually engage the adjustmant collars and keep them from rotating once adjusted. Once those wire brackets are off scribe a line across the collar and some part of the housing next to the collar. Now use a punch and a hammer to rotate one collar loose. I usually just rotate one collar back two full turns and try not to have the carrier fall into my lap.

A piece of plywood under the diff is a good idea in case it does fall out and you can't keep it from hitting the ground.

Rene

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I got it but unfortanatley I did it before I could read any of these reponses.
    I will have a hard time setting it back up now.

I kind of screwed the one side up pretty bad by trying to beat it out previously so does anyone know where I can get a set.

hopefully it wont be a dealer item but if it is i guess i really dont have a choice.

thanks for the help

Damage assesment
    5 hammers RIP
    1 crowbar
    1 steel pipe breaker bar
    prolly some more stuff that i cant member and the above is not an egsageration.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:doah: :doah: :doah:

Adjustmant collars shouldn't be hard to find. Any 14 bolt FF will have them. Hopefully the carrier and bearings are OK.

Rene

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Post a pic of the adjusters and let us see them. You prolly can still reuse them unless they are totally ****ed.

Ira

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Im getting a rebuild kit for it ( should include the races and bearings as for the adjusters they are scared on the side that runs on the bearing but they prolly aint that bad but after I rebuild it I dont want to have to tear it down for a long long time.

i done have a camera with me and it will prolly dissapoint you cause what i might think is bad caould be a scratch to you guys lol