Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt and D44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 23, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Just got a heck of a promotion at work and now I'm thinking about doing a ton of stuff to the k5. How much can you typically find a 14 bolt FF at a junk yard for? Are the common? How bout the D44? Are they common? I want to get a 6" suspension and run 36" tires, change the axles with 4.10 gears, and do the slip yoke eliminator kit.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congratulations man![​IMG]
    I found my 14 bolt F.F., D44 8 lug, SM465, and NP 205, with appropriate driveshafts all for $900.00 (Cdn. about $600.00 US) from a guy that just wrote off his 3/4 ton Blazer. Both diffs were open but complete with brakes etc. and 3.73 gears. Pretty sweet deal for me and it all just bolted up. The only real extra I had was U-bolts. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

They are everywhere. Dana 44s are also quite popular as well, so you should have no problems. If you are going with a 14-bolt rear, why not go with a Dana 60 front? Just curious...

[​IMG]

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I just think that would be a little much for the front for what I do. Not to mention the weight and price of the dana60. I'm sure one day maybe, but for 36" tires D44 will be fine.

89 K5 Silverado

5. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Congratulations on the promotion! Sounds like you have good investment plans!

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok I just called the local junkyard and I want to get your oppinions. He looked up the parts based on an 89 2500 suburban is what he told me. 14 bolt SF Locked with 4.10 for $550. Dana44 with 4.10 and calipers and rotors for $350. He said he didn't know of anyone around here with a 14 bolt FF. What is the big difference in between the FF and SF? I'm thinking the Dana sounds like a good deal. What do ya'll think about the 14bolt? And he didn't know what kind of locker was in it, he just said it showed as being locked.

89 K5 Silverado

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Why not just buy a complete 3/4 or 1 ton GM 4x4 truck and swap the drivetrain, and sell the truck for $100 less than what you paid for it? This way you could test the axles before you buy them and you know what they came out of and how many miles they got. You'll also have the ubolts and other misc things. When you sold the truck, most people wouldn't even notice the 1/2 axles anyway. Most newer GM trucks will have the GM 8 lug 10 bolt up front which is just as good as the Dana 44.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I got my stuff for a HECK of a lot less than that. I bought the whole truck. It's cheaper TRUST ME. I picked up a 74 Longwide 3/4 ton for $200. Pulled the 44/14 out to go in the blazer. Sold the motor back to the original owner. Sending the 465/203 combo off to a secret location in the south. Selling the frame and body to the scrapyard for $20. All in all, I'm coming out WELL ahead. As a mater of fact, I'm making money by getting this stuff. Hunt the WHOLE vehicle, and try not to go to the salvage, they know what their worth. A guy local has 6 D44 front's for sale out of Blazers complete for $150 apiece. Most 14's in the area will run you about $900 at a salvage or $400 from a local. Now on D60's, lets not go there. A local shop (Sam's Offroad) buys em all up and sells them for $3800. Cheapest I've found on a 60 is $1100. Now if I can only scrounge up the money, I'll have one of them too.[​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

'Cause damn, I got my 3/4 ton D44, and a 3/4 ton 14bolt, both 4.10 for $150 apiece at ecology auto wrecking in Wilmington, CA. 14 bolts are everywhere, the fronts are a little harder to find in a junk yard, but alot easier than a 60

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....
    Now ya'll got me thinking. I guess I could try and buy the whole truck and either replace it with the 10 bolts or sell it in pieces like some of ya'll. And I do have a big 'ol concrete slab right next to my garage that has nothing on it but oil stains.

89 K5 Silverado

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

NOW YOU'RE TALKING

My wife wouldn't know what to think if all my rigs ran at once. Plus, taking one apart just for parts is a BLAST!!! Most of the time, you can sawzall stuff out of your way cause you won't need it anymore. Why let some dang salvage yard take all the fun of ripping a truck apart away from ya.

COME AWN!!!!

Kyle
    89K5