Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt and driveshaft legnth

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Feb 21, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

ok i finialy (after weeks of saveing and scheduale differences) have a definite date when i am getting my axels. next sat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i ordered and received my u bolts zero rates and shackle from ORD and i picked up my #447 u joint today. any way to get to my point the guy at napa asked why i wanted this not so ordinary u joint. so i told him what my plan was and he told me i will to shorten my driveshaft since i am still useing stock springs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif not that i take everything car parts store people tell me as gospel but he4 got me thinking. please say he doesn't know what he is talking about. for the record i have a 700 208 combo and will be putting a 14 bolt ff in the rear. if i do need a shortened shaft couldn't i just use the zero rate to move the axel back? please help the sooner i get all this done and over with the sooner i will have the extra 25 bucks to join instead of being a net freeloader /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The way I know it is if you are lifting it at least 3" you will not need to shorten it for your setup.
    But I would really doubt that you have a 14bFF and no lift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wanted to know this to, think I am going 4"s so you just helped me out greatly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If I run say 7" of lift with a 14 bolt would I need to lengthen the shaft still?

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You will probably need to shorten the driveshaft. Why may I ask are you going to run 1 tons axles with only 33s and a 1" lift? You realize that you are going to drag those axles against averything, and if you play in the mud, you will probably get stuck because of them. I drag my axles against rocks when I have a 12 bolt and the 35s on it. I dont have a problem when I am on the 38.5" SXs though.Just my 2 cents.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

yes i am going to run 33's and 1 tons. for a couple reasons. 1 i have built a couple jeeps before and always did lift and tires etc. and never had the money to do it right and replace the axels since i was makeing payments on em. so i ditched the payments sold some jeep stuff and bought a K5 thats i have no payments on 2 my auto hubs are shot my brakes are bad and my knuckle joints are noisy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifso instead of dumping money in axels i will take to the junkyard why not get 1 tons that are in good working order with better gears and a locker /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. i plan to go bigger but i want to wheel it for awhile till i decide how much lift and how big of a tire i need.

so i guess i am going to try moveing the axel 1.5" back with my zero rate and hope. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. DesertDueler

Just remember that the axles in the junk yard are in there for a reason. Expect to do brakes on them, seals, and you will probably need new hubs as well. I am not against 1 ton axles, but they are expensive to replace parts on. Everything is at least double in price of what a 1/2 ton parts are.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he and I talked about this, he was saying why bother with the 1/2 ton rears that he will eventually take to the yard, he is getting the 1 tons from a guy for a pretty good price freshly rebuilt.

8. DesertDueler

That good, if its a good price, just remember though with that extra weight, expect to get like 5 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i know i am going at this ass backwards but why not build it from axle up plus it will kinda be cool to be a sleeper no one will expect as basically stock k 5 to be locked with 456's. i'll just have to get used to the land anchor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i would like to eventually end up with 37 or 38's and keep my 33's as inspection tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think I am going to lift 4" and put the 14 bolt under it but I don't think the 14 bolt will find its home till I get the new tires(37s or 35s yet to be seen). I would put the 14 bolt under mine because my rear leaks and is geared horribly.

11. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

I just measured my 14 FF to a 8.5 10bolt...
    --
    THe distance from the centeline of the axle to the centerline of the u-joint is 13.5 inches on both
    --
    They both use the same drive shaft
    ==
    My 1987 1/2t has the same size u'joint as my 14FF, 3.75. but yours may not, and you may need a combo joint /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

hmm maybe i'll be alright. how much does it cost to get a drive shaft cut down? i hate to cut it since i do want to lift eventually. but if i spend any more money on the thing right now my girlfreind will mount my cohonies over the fire place /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

I had a 84 gmc long bed p/u a few years back and blew up my 10 bolt. So I bought a 14bff and it went right in with no problems. Just needed a combo u-joint and lost park brake.
    It also was a 700r4 208 set up.Hope this helps.
    P.S. don't forget to shave that 14 bolt before it goes in much easier to do out of the truck.

14. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

umm- put it this way, mine was shortened 3" when i went from 12b to 14b.

15. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Maybe my NP241 is different, but when i went from 10 bolt to 14 bolt, i didn't shorten the shaft. It only sticks in the slip yoke an additional 1/4". I know the pinion sticks out further on the 14 bolt, but it didn't seem like enough to worry about. Oh yeah, no lift either.

16. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

oh yeah, i have a 203, no slip yoke, just a compressing shaft. my fault- but the 14ff still stick out about 3" more than a 12b

17. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

18. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well i lucked out, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif with my rear lifted around 6 inched the stock drive shaft was way short, after installing the 14 bolt the stock shaft is perfect

19. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

will i have to do anything to my front drive shaft? i am putting in a d 60. i hope not

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

howcome the 14 bolt ff i have has shorter pinion length than the 8.5" 10 bolts and truck 12 bolts do ? i was wanting to put the 14 in place of the 10 and it would need a considerably longer driveshaft to work, 14 bolt is short stubby pinion design

do i have an oddball ?