Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt and h1 wheels..nothing in search..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Feb 16, 2006.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

hey, got a quick question, i have stock h1 wheels, and a 14bolt out of a suburban, i've searched but have come up with nothing really, does any one know what i need or should do to the 14 bolt, to run the stock h1 wheels. Thanks.
    Cory

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah you need Duallie hubs to run the H1's without recentering them. You will also need them for the front.

3. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

I've ran H1's on a 14 bolt ff without any modifications so u dont "need" dualie hubs on the 14 bolt. just fwiw

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That must be pretty narrow. I meant you need DRW hubs if you want the track width to be similar to stock. H1's have a lot of backspacing to them. You couldn't run them "stock" on the front without some sort of interference, and that would look goofy to have the rear that narrow and the front normal.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if the 14 is out of a burb it is a semi float, not sure of the width differance.

IIRC the rear is already 2" narrower that the fron and the wheels have about 7" of BS so you wolud need about a 3-4" spacer and that would get you a standered 3-4" back spaceing.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Just for kicks and giggles, I reallly want to see some unaltereed h1 wheels on a 14bolt... must look super narrow from the back.. Wonder if those ever have trouble scrubbing on the inner rear fenders :eek1:
    thanks,
    James

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a pic of unmodified H1's on a van-width 14BFF

[​IMG]

8. k5 krawler 50

Greg72, thanks for the pic, off the top of your head do you know what the wms to wms of a van 14 bolt is?

Darkshadow, the 14 bolt i have is a full floater, and it did come out of a burb, i've seen burbs with sf 14 in them before, but i made sure before i got this one that it was in fact a ff.. thanks for the heads up thou.

Also thanks to everyone else who responded. It seems that i will have to make some strong spacers to accomadate the crazy offset.

9. Greg72

Vans are 3" wider than a standard 14BFF...

Don't be fooled by that pic. I have the H1s out back in that shot, but conventional 3.75" BS wheels up front. Unmodified H1's will NEVER fit on a SRW D60 without hitting the knuckles, tie rod and brake calipers.

Even out back, you're going to probably need to "tub" the wheelwells if you want the tires to stuff underneath like in the pic.

I got those H1s for free, so I was just playing around with them to see how it would look.

10. k5 krawler 50

thanks for the info, i have dually hubs for my front 60, so that should work fine, i was just trying to accomadate something for the rear. Sorry but did you mean the van width is 3 inches wider a side, or total? Thanks again. Cory

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Pat Vermillion used to run unmodified H1 wheels on a D60 under a Bronco.. I emailed him a few times and he said he didn't change anything. Other than I am sure he was running a highsteer/crossover arm that was made to run hummer rims... *shrug*

And what is the track width of your front axle with the 3.75" BS wheels?? With the Van width rear and H1's, it doesn't look liek much of a width difference with the front. In the pic it looks similar to runn stock offset axles. Just wondering what it would be like with a DRW60 up front and H1's with the Van width rear and H1's....

12. Emmettology 101

A van rear axle is 3" wider total... Should be around 70" wms-wms.

13. k5 krawler 50

Cool, thank you.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A van width rear 14FF axle is 3" total wider, so it should have the same WMS to WMS measurement as a normal SRW Dana 60 front axle. If you switched to dually front hubs then the track width on the front would be wider by the width of the dually hubs. I don't know the measurement off hand but I know the front dually spacers on most new trucks is around 4-5" on each side........so the front axle would be 8-10" wider than the van width rear axle

15. Emmettology 101

No Problem! :thumb: I think the wide duallie axle(not C&C) is around 74"....

16. Emmettology 101

A DRW 60 front is 77.5" wms-wms... So that would make it about 7" wider than a van width 14ff... But looking at Greg's pics, it looks as if the difference between is SRW front with 3.75" BS wheels and the van width rear with H1's is only a few inches. I think a DRW 60 front with H1's is pretty similr width overall(outside of tire to outside of tire) to a SRW60 with small BS wheels...

Is my thinking off?

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think the perspective of the pictures throws it off a little, you really need a picture looking straight down on top of the truck to compare so both the front and rear tires are equal distance away from the camera. The rear will be 3.25" narrower on each side, or 6.5" narrower total. I don't think the difference is terrible or anything, but probably very noticable considering the stock 1.5" difference on each side that stock trucks have is quite apparent.

Based on the numbers you provided, a DRW front 60 with unmodified Hummer rims would be equal to a SRW front 60 with 3.5" BS rims (assuming these rims are the same width as the Hummer rims).

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you get a DRW 14FF from a pickup it should be about 74" wide. Then you take the hubs from a SRW 14FF and put them on the Dually axle this moves the hub flange out to approx 79" which is the width of a Dually 60 front. That way you can use factory axles and have the same track width front and rear. The only problem is you cannot run the factory brakes you will have to go disk and have custom brackets made. You can do the same with a Dana 70 DRW 14FF hubs will fit on those also.

If you do not want to deal with the brake issues get a DRW like above and run spacers on the hub that way you can run the factory brakes and still push the WMS out to match the front.

Ira

19. Greg72

More pics for reference:

D60 Caliper hits wheel...
    [​IMG]

Steering Knuckle hits on D60...
    [​IMG]

High Steer Hits...
    [​IMG]

Rear Stick Out with Wagonwheel (3.75" BS)
    [​IMG]

Rear Stickout on unmodified H1 Wheel...
    [​IMG]

Different angle to show Wagonwheel (front) vs. H1 (rear)
    [​IMG]

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Greg, for clarity, is that a SRW or DRW front? TIA.