Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ThreeBills$, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ThreeBills$

ThreeBills$ Registered Member

I looked around different forums and couldn't find any thing on the width of a 14 bolt rear end(without abbrievations). I am new to 4X4 and kinda need it spelled out for me. I was wondering if there is a difference in width between a 10 bolt rear end and a 14 bolt rear end. Also, what is the difference between a 14 bolt semi float and a full float? Thanks

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

14 bolt width will be the same width but the spring perches are different on a van and Dually. To make a direct bolt in you need one from a truck. The semi float axle your tires connect to the axle-if you break an axle the tire will come off. The full float is the stronger of the two. The axle shaft can actually be removed with the tire still on-the weight of the vehicle does not technically ride on the axle itself??

Hope this helps-Someone might be able to explain it better though :confused: :)

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm sure someone will post the link from pirate4x4 the 14bolt bible. If your looking for a direct swap into you 1/2 chevy get a 14ff from a 3/4ton truck then you won't have to move spring perches. Simi floaters still used c clips and full floats the axles bolt to the hubs. FF from a 3/4ton is what your looking for, fairly easy to find. Do a search on sf vs ff to get all the details.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html here you go.

4. ThreeBills$

ThreeBills$ Registered Member

Thanks a lot John, that pirate 4X4 site helped out a ton. Thanks also for your imput, everybody's opinion helps. Thanks again

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm, no.

There are four widths of 14BFF's, and the perch width differs from 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks (same) to 1-ton trucks (different) to vans (different yet, I believe).

The Billavista bible has all this, but just for the record, there are a wide variety of 14BFF's, not all of which are suitable for K5's. I got a dually one and had to get a different one, I know :(

-- A