Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Axleshaft Diameter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What is it? Numbers needed for my technical notes. Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dimensions on the shafts are:

Spline Diameter 1.59"

"Neckdown" 1.367"

Operating diameter 1.351"

Spline length 2.165"

Spline engagement short side 1.418"

Spline engagement long side 1.569"

Axle diameter by the flange - 1.458"

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain these?

Otherwise, thanks for the numbers. Comparing the numbers to my 9" shaft.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how much of the splines engage into the carrier.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What he said. Thats the amount of splines that go into the carrier. Long side being the long shaft, short side being the short shaft. The carrier is offset in a 14 bolt thus there are two different length shafts.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Okie dokie.

Though my measurements have some room for error, the shafts between the two are very close in diameters. I had 1.35 down at the splines and 1.43 in about the middle. The shaft at the bearings are huge, but didn't measure because the bearings and other crap has to be pulled off before I can measure that part.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

big enough for you to turn down and respline for you upcomming ford 9 inch rear....

speaking of ford axles, im gonna PM you now....
    Grant

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    big enough for you to turn down and respline for you upcomming ford 9 inch rear....

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have to get new shafts. I only pulled one shaft today to confirm I got what I wanted and didn't look too closely at the shaft, but there were some wear marks on the splines which caught my attention. Didn't look, but they may be bad.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dimensions on the shafts are:

Spline Diameter 1.59"

"Neckdown" 1.367"

Operating diameter 1.351"

Spline length 2.165"

Axle diameter by the flange - 1.458"

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure these numbers are correct. I measured a shaft at the splines at 1.540", and the spindle ID at 1.590". I admit that I did measure them with calipers - an OD mic and bore guages would be better - but there is no way I was that far off.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not sure these numbers are correct. I measured a shaft at the splines at 1.540", and the spindle ID at 1.590". I admit that I did measure them with calipers - an OD mic and bore guages would be better - but there is no way I was that far off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember there is a manufacturing tolerance on those parts. What you measure may be +/-.030 (or more as a rough guess) on non critical dimensions. Critical dimensions should hold a tolerance that is much tighter. Then again, when was the last time your calipers were calibrated?

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Those numbers (the ones that Willyswanter posted) are copied from BillaVista's "14 Bolt Bible" on Pirate4X4.com. They are not all correct (some may be). He first says that the spindle ID is 1.540, then goes on to say that the axle shafts are 1.590 at the splines. What is wrong with this picture??? The shaft diameter at the splines is hardly a "non critical" dimension. If my measurement is off my more than 5 thou, I will eat my calipers. Actually, I would find it hard to believe that the spindle ID has a tolerance of more than +/- 2 or 3 thousandths either. My calipers are definitely accurate to within less than a thousandth. Has anyone else actually measured this stuff, or is everyone just posting dimensions that they have read on the Web?

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have not looked closely at that article but I agree that there is something wrong if the spindle ID is listed smaller than the Shaft OD /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sounds like the guy who wrote the article has some problems with his measuring devices...

As far as criticle dims, I dont think the Spindle ID would be more than a min dia with a + tolerance of 20-30 thou. It just needs clearance at that location, does not come in contact with the shaft. Splines are in contact on the side surfaces and the OD is not critical (as long as it doesnt interfere with another part). Spindle OD mating up to the bearing ID is a critical dim that would have to hold a very tight tolerance.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm sure the tolerances for spindle ID are much tighter than 20 or 30 thou.

I have a couple of 14 FF axles in my carport...I'll drag em to work and check a few dim's with the digital calipers and see if any of the numbers jive with what I have.

Rene