Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt bearing install?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

I took the wheel bearings and races out of my 14 bolt about 8 months ago and now I can't remember how they go back. I have installed the outer race, bearing, and retainer clip. However I can't remember which way the inner bearing goes in. Do I install the thick part of the race facing the hogs head or facing the wheel? Does anyone have a breakdown, this crappy manual doesn't say! Thnaks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will install as a mirror image of how the other bearing installed. I beleive that the taper on both of them goes to the inside, since that is how tapered roller bearings generally work.</font color>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I did mine on Wednesday - they both face the same way, taper facing outwards away from the ring gear.
    The order of stuff for the hub is as follows (all installed from the back of the hub):
    Outer wheel bearing race, outer wheel bearing, retaining ring (thick), inner wheel bearing race, inner wheel bearing, wheel hub seal.
    -- Mike

4. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

oops...in response to TX Mudder

If you assembled your hubs the way you said...you better not be driving on them. It should go like this. (from the back side) 1st-Outer bearing w/ taper facing in(toward ring gear), 2nd-bearing race corrisponding to the bearing, 3rd-snapring, thn the inner race with the taper facing inward(toward axle flange), then the bearing, then seal.

If you have the outer bearing in backwards, when you go to set your preload, it will shove the bearing into the snapring and willeat it after about 5 miles!!! Trust me on this one /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I think you guys probably all have it correct, but are confusing us all with which way your tapers go! It's kinda hard to put them together wrong. Best to find a manual or maybe someone can scan a pic. and e-mail it. I just did mine too, and it doesn't sound like either of the descriptions below!

Eric M.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You got me, you are right. The outer WB faces toward the ring gear.
    I htought about it like 10 times before I posted it and still got it wrong. Sorry for the confusion, but yeah I did it the right way.
    -- Mike