Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Apr 4, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

isn/t there a bearing at the end of the axle tube and how do you know if it needs replacement. I just got the 14bff off of an older truck, do you normally replace these bearings?? Do you just wait until they go bad? I am now thinking of going with the TSM rear disc kit thanks to everyone on this site, (always getting talked into things, I guess thats a good thing....isn't it?) Should I replace everything before I install it in the Blazer. I am going to be puting gears into it, anything else usually need replacement?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 14FF rarely ever go bad. I have not seen one go bad yet. You should get a service manual that shows different pictures of wear and tear on the bearings. When you tear your rear apart, compare the needles to the pictures in the manual. Chances are, the bearings will still be in good condition providing the rearend was full of fluid for the proper lubrication.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed that your in So Cal. Where did you get the axle?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I got it from a guy in Goleta, about an hour north of where I live. I got the 14bff, a Dant 44, and a '75 blazer for $400. If you are interested I know where 2 more 14 bolt ff for about $175 complete, dont know what gears are in them though, let me know if you are intrested.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

thatk30guy, what service manual would you recommend?

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yeh let me know on those 14 blts. It would be perfect if they have 4:10's

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

To check out the condition of the needle bearings, any manual will work. I have GM service manuals for a couple years of trucks and Chilton manuals. The Chiltons would be your best bet as you can get them from any book store or parts store. The GM service manuals are kind of hard to come by. They are costly too.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

to 'thatk30guy' thanks for the info and to esteban I'll try to go check them out this weekend.