Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt buyer seeks knowledge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAROLINAK5, Sep 1, 2001.

1. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

going to purchase my first 14 bolt axle this weekend(hopefuly).
    i read somewhere about what to look for if you are going to install a locker in your 14 bolt...any ideas.

also...what is the difference between 3/4 to and 1 ton 14 bolts? and how do i which one i'm looking at?

the axle came out of 78 van...any ideas as to the gear ratios used in these applications/

i don't know anyone around me to haelp with this purchase and i don't want something i am not going to get to use.

i am aware of the pad and shock mount moves.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The 3/4 and the 1 tons differences are that the spring perches on the 3/4 should be at the same location as your 1/2. Adn the 1 tons are not. But since yours may be coming out of a van, then they aren't gonna be in the right place. So you'll have to cut them off and re-weld tehm in the correct location as well as the shock mounts. The GOOD thing here is that the van rear end is wider than the regular ones so now you will have a rear that is as wide as your front. No need for wheel spacers now.
    The 1 ton brakes are bigger than the 3/4 ton. Which is more good news.
    As far as looking at the rear to see if it will hold a locker or not....it has to be an open carrier. You can look at the side of the diff with the cover off no doubt and if you can see inside the diff and there aint no bundle of parts in there other than 4 gears your good to go. If you can raise it up high enough to turn both drums turn one side and if the other side turns the opposite direction this would also indicate an open rear.
    as far as being able to tell the difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton rear.....well they are the same thing. Just one's bigger brakes and spring mounting locations. But they are the same beast.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.......i'm going to pick it up on tuesday or wednesday, when it will get installed is another question.

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It most likely has an open carrier. Never heard of Gov Loc coming in Vans, has anyone else?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have heard of Gov-locks in anything that moves from GM...I would pull the cover. You'll see the carrier is a two piece unit with the ring gear bolted to it. As you rotate the carrier you'll see 3 or 4 'pins' along the centerline of the two half's of the carrier. On an open 14 bolt you'll see 4 pins, Gov-Lock I'm almost 100% sure has only 3 pins. Because the spiders are so well hidden inside the carrier its very hard to see whats inside...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i would recommend putting the tape measure to it to double check wheel mount to wheel mount distance