Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt carnage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Oct 9, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

This 14 bolt came with the banks turbo equiped 6.2L diesel parts truck I bought awhile back. I just got around to taking it apart this weekend and found soem interesting things. The spindle is peeled like a banana and the shaft has some of the splines stripped in a prety wierd way, as well as being bent. Any guesses on what happened?

spindle2.JPG

spindle.JPG

shaft.JPG

splines.JPG

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I bet it was in a accident and the wheel hit something and tried pushing it back causing the spindal to fail then the shaft just got bent pulling the splines out stripping them.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Theres a title you dont hear often :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, it looks like an impact. Hard enough to shatter the bearings and break the spindle. The shaft damage would have occurred at the same time, and the spline damage would have been after the impact.

Rene

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

IMLAO the hub nuts walked off and let the shaft and hub move. this inturn let the bearing fall out of the hub and destoryed the spindel.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i bet it was one of those things that you dont realize happened until you get home.

7. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Damn that is carnage :eek1:

8. afroman006

I havent looked really close at it but the hubs that I think were on it dotn appear to be damaged. It was in the bed of a truck with another dually 14 bolt and both were disassembled so I dont know which hubs belong to which.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have seen somehting similar to that happen a few times. I have seen the shaft break, come out and tweak up the end of the housing like that. We have a place here in Sac that can repair it too!

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

How long has the axle been out of the vehicle? A local guy was selling some axles (D60 and 14 bolt) that had been rolled around by a plow. They were buried in snow, and the cat pushed them in the gravel parking lot for a little ways. That did all sorts of damage, including ripping out an axle from the 14 bolt and tearing off a hub from the D60.

BTW, they were out of a military truck with ~45,000 miles. Guess how much he wanted for them? (they were 4.56's and a detroit in the 14BFF). He would'nt go a dime under $1500 :eek1: I just walked away... :rolleyes:

11. afroman006

Snow? Wtf is that? This truck came from south texas, people dont even talk about that stuff here. Like I said the truck came with two dually axles in the bed so my guess is the PO fubard the original and bought a replacement, but never got around to putting the new one in.