Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 BOLT carrier bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Mar 13, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

My buddy's 14 bolt bearings are screwed. If we install new ones will we have to reset the backlash or not? Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yes you will, but it's real easy on a 14 bolt. </font>

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Do a pattern check and check what the backlash is before you tear it apart.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The answer to your question is no. All you have to do is mark properly where the adjusting screws (large with holes all around them) were before you start, and after replacing the bearings, move them back to their original position (exact number of turns). Then torque the bearing caps to spec and thats it.

This article will help you: Detroit Locker Install It's very easy once youre doing it.

Edit: I'm talking about the two bearings on the sides of the carrier only. If you need to replace the pinion bearings, then yes, you have to set everything from the beginning.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that it's a good idea to check the backlash when you replace the bearings. You never know what might happen, and it only takes a few minutes to check it. </font>

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Is that is what a dial indicator is for? Any trick to measuring it if you don't have a dial?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that is what a dial indicator is for? Any trick to measuring it if you don't have a dial?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Yes, the trick is to buy a dial indicator or find someone that has one you can borrow. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

The reason to check the backlash it so that you know what its at so when you put it back together you know where to run it.

9. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

A dial indicator is almost worthless when dealing with a used set of gears. The factory specs. are of no use on used gears. If there is no side to side play in the carrier, you could measure it first, then set the same when you put it back. I always check pattern before disassembly and set backlash for the best pattern durring assembly.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

The backlash openes up a little bit when the gears get used. The backlash only changes the pattern verv minimal, the pinion depth is what changes the pattern.

11. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

You would be amazed at how much backlash changes the pattern on a used set of gears.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

Well from my experioce it doesnt change the pattern very much, a few thou is nothing. I suppose it all depends on how much its changed.