Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt cleaning and rebuilding questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 30, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 14 bolt for the k5 and I really need to clean the thing. I was thinking about taking the whole thing apart and taking it to a machine shop to have it hot thanked. I really don’t have the time to sit there and clean it. Will the axle work properly if I putt every thing back together the same way it came apart? What I mean to say is, if I putt all the shims in the same way will the clearances be the same. I will clean the pinion part myself. What I am trying to avoid is having to take the axle to a shop after I clean so they can set the backlash and clearances.

Thanks.
    Charles.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you remove the pinion nut, you will have to install a new crush sleeve and set the drag torque (it's in inch/pounds)....so I wouldn't take the yoke off if you plan to do this yourself.

The internals can be removed if you count the number of turns on those two side rings as you screw them into the axle tubes. That will allow you to remove the centersection.

But I guess the question is "WHY"? If the internals are functional, there's no point to cleaning them.....you are just going to fill them up with gear oil again anyway.

As far as the external parts, I've had good luck with oven cleaner for the really greasy parts, and brake cleaner and a toothbrush to get into the crevices and plug welded spots.

Once it's all clean, I used a good epoxy-based spray paint, and it came out great!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks Greg72, I'll try that.

Charles

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just got one of those wire brushes for the drill and went to town on the axle. Once all the loose stuff is off just hose it with some paint and cal it good. </font color>