Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt detroited axle problem, wtf!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Jun 26, 2002.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hi, have about 1200 miles on my axle since I went through with the rebuild. All of a sudden I get a loud bang and snapping noise when I turn, back up, or brake hard. Some times the locker isn't disengaging when I turn and my tires start to skip. Once I go in a straight line all is usually well. The locker is only 6-8 months old. I know everything was properly installed and the axle has oil in it. How long is the warrenty on these things? Anyone else had a similar problem to this?
    Any info is greatly appricated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the normal characteristics of the Detroit. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i agree, the first time mine unlocked and locked back in i thought i busted the hell out of something.small price to pay for unbelievable traction.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Normal......... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I had a bad detroit for a 14bolt FF once.
    It was bad out of the box. Sometimes would work, other times not, and it would bang, snap and wind up more than usual. Most interesting part was when going forward the driveshaft would turn, but not the tires! But it would back up! Got stuck once with the rear tires high and dry, front spinning with no rear assist, even got it on tape.

It took many phone calls and about 2 months before I got a refund and had it settled. I was less than happy with the customer assistance.

6. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

Ours is only 2 months old and just started to make noises. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif We'll just be driving down the road, straight, and it'll sound like we've broken something REALLY BAD and it just jars the whole truck. When ours was installed, they messed up and forgot to remove the thrust washers. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif That's been fixed, but we thought they now owed us a new Detroit! THIS is normal? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif If so we'll stop pulling over and looking the truck over! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to idle for mind to disengage. Any power to it and it is locked. They do like to let you know they are in there. Twice since I had the axles under it all of a sudden it felt like the rear was comming out of the truck. Both times it felt like the assend was tring to make a right turn. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am going to pull the cover off just to be sure, besides I should change the oil by now anyways. I did make a 250 mile trip like this, so I guess if something was wrong it would have been apparent by now.
    Thanks,
    Mike