Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt diff vs 10 bolt diff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Question for anyone in the know. When I rebuild my Blazer this summer, I plan on swapping in a Dana 60/14-bolt combo for the front and rear. I also will be bolting up a new BDS 6" suspension kit. I currently have a Tom Woods driveshaft that has 1350 U-joints that mates to a 1350 yoke in the 10-bolt axle (also suppplied by Tom Woods).
    My question is this: Is the difference in the length of the 14-bolt diff vs the 10-bolt diff enough to allow me to run the stock length driveshaft, even with the lift? I had planned on a new C.V. jointed rear shaft from Tom Woods but if I can save another $300 and keep my current driveshaft, it sure would be nice.

Still in search of the TBI KING!!
  2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Feb 17, 2000
    When Steve did his 14 bolt, we found that the 10 and 14 bolt are the same in pinion length. I thought for sure the 14 had to have a longer pinion but they are the same. He runs a 4" lift/14 bolt with the stock driveshaft and has no problems. The 241 TC slip yoke seems to have sufficient amount of shaft for a 6" lift but I won't bet anyone. I had a used 1 ton shaft sized down for my K5 for under $100. It uses 1350 joints. For now you can use a trick joint to mate your stock shaft to the 14 bolt.

<font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>