Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Disc Brake Conversion Help....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

No offense but I'm looking for actual hands on experience with this conversion and the problems/routes taken to solve any problems.

This post goes out to all the people who have already made this conversion. I need data regarding which route you all went with the E-brake. What are the pro's and con's of each route. Mechanical vs Hydraulic. What all was needed to fully implement each? I'm going to be doing this conversion very soon and would like to know which route to take ont he E'brake. It's the difference between buying D44 calipers or the Eldorado Calipers. How hard was it to get the Eldorado Calipers ebrake setup fully working? If I went with D44 calipers, that means I'd have to go with hydraulic line-lock type E'brake setup, or another option would be the 205 E'brake setup from Highangle drvieline.

Thanks in advance to anyone sharing their experiences with this conversion.

2. tomnits

tomnits Registered Member

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I went with the Cadilac calipers from a local junk yard but they were not easy to find and rebuilt ones were a small fortune (since no core would be available for return). I mounted mine on the correct sides as well with the e-brake lever hanging below, but since my calipers are mounted between the side and the top, the lever doesn't hang below the axle (no rock contact problems and they bleed normally).

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm just about finished with my disc brake conversion(just have to bleed it tommorow). I used the caddy calipers becuase I wanted to keep an ebrake. Setting up the ebrake was very, very, easy. I ran my calipers upside down so the ebrake line is above the axle.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I also set one up. i still need to rebleed my brakes. i have a 72 and will have to move the ebrake cable braket on the frame a few inches. i've noticed that the 73+ mount a bit ferther back than the first gen. so mabe it's a plus.
    the Eparking brake cable has a spring at the end, i removed that since the caddy caliper comes with it's own return spring. i also mounted the caddy calipers upside down, so the ebrake will be above the axel.

post any more questions you'd like. i think Borregok5 has some pics on his site.

ARQ.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

tomnits: thanks for posting that excellent link... Im going to be doing the line lock idea on my truck and that really helps visualize how its going to come together.

mike

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would use the caddy calipers for the cable e-brake feature since hydraulic line lock for an e-brake is not legal here in california. It is not hard to set up the e-brake it is only expensive. As far as hydraulic e-brake is concerned it is no longer an e-brake but rather a parking brake. You could not use a line lock style brake in an emergency situation like you can a mechanical cable brake.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I went w/ the High Angle setup. Having to buy the hole setup runs into alot of cash! I am now just about broke but I think it will be worth it. I should get everything tomarow (it should have been hear today) and will install it sometime this week.

pros:
    I don't have to worry about breaking the driveshaft
    Holds stronger than the caddy calipers (or so I have heard...will have to set up a head to head test somehow...). This is the main reason I went this ruite
    No cables hanging down and acting as limit straps
    Will work if Hyd. system does not
    Get to point driveshaft at t-case (more ground clearance)

Cons:
    $$$
    Not "Off-the-Shelf" components (could I get new pads/rotor for the e-brake in BFE?

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I don't think I've seen this setup... what does it consist of? I asume it locks the driveshaft, right? As long as you don't blow a u-joint or grenade the rear gears, sounds like a good alternative.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually even with the driveshaft removed, given the high angle brake assembly is part of the output shaft on the t-case, you could just put it in 4wd and still have e-brake.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Good point!

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status