Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff1976, Apr 25, 2002.

1. jeff1976

jeff1976 Registered Member

I am looking for 77-78 Cadillac Eldorado brake calipers. Are the emergency brake calipers used in the rear or the front. I have called a couple of part stores and there is a big cost difference between front and rear calipers. I assume they are the rear, but I'm not sure. Also, who has the best deals on calipers?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Yes the rear set is what you want and I will be watching this post looking for a good place to buy them to I need them to /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The rears are the ones that you want. They were only made for those 3 years, so they are pretty rare. That's why the price is so high. I lucked out and found a decent set at a junkyard. $6 each for a set of seals and they work great. But to get a rebuilt set from a parts store costs around $80 each, plus another $80 each for the core charge. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

what 3 years were they made?rear calipers w/e-brake
    thanks
    George

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

76, 77 and 78 rear eldorado calipers are used in 14 bolts.
    79-85 rear eldorado calipers are used in 12 and 10 bolt kits.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am about to do a rear disc conversion on my 14bff myself and searched the wrecking yards and came up with some interesting findings. You can also use 78 caddy fleetwood left caliper and 78 caddy seville right caliper and you will have both calipers behind the rotor with both e-brake cables coming in from the front and both bleeder screws pointing up if you have someone rotate the bolt circle on the brackets to the correct place for your application.

7. HarryH3

I think youll find that those calipers don't open wide enough for a new set of pads to fit over the rotor. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The calipers from a 76-78 Eldorado open up about 1/4-inch wider than the calipers that were used on the other Caddies. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif But you could probably get away with installing a half-used set of pads in the back to make 'em fit.

8. 4X4HIGH

Actually there is very little difference between the two calipers. They even both use the same pads. I also have already tried the calipers with new pads over a new rotor and they fit fine.

9. HarryH3

Then you lucked out. Both styles of caliper take the same size pad. But the other Caddies had thinner rotors. The first set of calipers that I got came from a Seville and with new pads installed, they wouldn't fit over a 3/4-ton rotor. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I ended up giving them to a buddy that was putting disc brakes on the rear Dana 44 in his Jeep. They were exactly what his bracket kit called for.

10. 4X4HIGH

There were two different size calipers used on seville's. The ones I have are the same dimensions as the front rotors on my D44.