Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt disc brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Oct 17, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After going outside to compare my 14FF to the one in my wifes truck i got to thinking about useing them brakes. Anybody try this? I dont know if its possible because of the computer and anti lock crap they have but wanted to know if its worth the trip to the bone yard?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might be easier to buy the Brackets from misfit or somebody and then get the rest at the parts store. This what I did and it was easy and fun to do. (Not really fun) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing you'd have to do is compare the axle flange bolt pattern. If its different, (actual bolt pattern, spacing and number of bolts) you are already looking at needing brackets made.

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that was my first tought, just wanted see if anyone had figured out a different way with these factory types?

5. dyeager535

The later ones should certainly be a better design, it comes down to how effective you want them to be, how much are you willing to pay, and how much time are you willing to spend on them.

With the Cadi calipers costing what they are, having the problems that they do, the e-brake issues, and the seperate brackets, if you could bolt on the later stuff, I don't think there is a question that newer is better. It's a question of which is easier and cheaper, because the later ones are most certainly better.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    having the problems that they do

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of problems do they have? I'm curious as I was about to do this swap.

7. dyeager535

Well, some problems people complain about are that either the disks don't work very well, the e-brakes are touchy (although I suspect that is owner error most of the time) and apparently they aren't "floating" calipers, meaning they need to be adjusted by using the e-brake..later model stuff is just like the front, and the e-brkae is designed differently.