Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt disc conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Jul 7, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok so I wanna get the parts together I need to do a disc swap on my 14 bolt...but have a few questions...the info I have found has been from the Azkickin offroads website.
    -Parts Needed: 1971-78 GM 1/2 ton calipers or 1976-78 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers, 1971-87 GM 3/4 ton 4x4 rotors, hoses, miscellaneous hardware.

ok so can I just use any 1/2 ton calipers?? 2 wheel drive ones too?? or just 4x4? also if it is only 4x4 then what about calipers off a 89 or 82 blazer will they work>? the info I have says 71-78 thats a pretty small range is that actually correct? or just for "their conversion?" also what about E-brake cable? how does that work out? since the fronts arnt set up for an ebrake...anyways any info provided would be AWESOME!!

2. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have sent him two e-mails about the swap brackets and never recieved a reply. I also gave him my cell phone number to make it easier for him.......
    That was over two weeks ago. As far as i am concerned his customer service probably sucks.

So i went with SKY's brackets and even though UPS screwed me over and my 3 day shipping turned into 7 or 8 i am happy with the brackets and the swap should be done tomorrow.

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Brian, The 1971-78 1/2 & 3/4 ton calipers RC 4071 & RC4072 (Raybestoes) will work just fine. The other years probably will work also but I have not done the research to be sure so I did not put the info up on the website.

The e-brake will require the Cadillac calipers if you want to go that route. I have spent time off and on over the last year trying to put a e-brake kit together useing the Cadillac calipers and there are more problems than I think make it worth while and also expensive. I have increased the leverage/length of the levers by 60% to get the brakes to hold the truck on a incline and thats not enough. The bottom line is that you will also have to salvage the ratcheting brake pedal out of the old Cadillac as well as the calipers. HarryH3 put one on his truck and Chulisohombre is putting one on his truck right now. I have the rear brackets, levers and cables worked out but the pedal is the problem.

5. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    Brian, The 1971-78 1/2 & 3/4 ton calipers RC 4071 & RC4072 (Raybestoes) will work just fine. The other years probably will work also but I have not done the research to be sure so I did not put the info up on the website.

[/ QUOTE ]

so are those 2wheel drive or 4wheel drive calipers?? or are they the same? I just went to the U-pull it today and they have TONS of calipers from 1/2 and 3/4 tons but only 2wheel drive trucks...the 4x4's get molested quick...so will these work? or should I just not be cheap and by new ones?

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Brian, I don't know but just call your lcoal parts guy tomarrow and ask if they are different part numbers. I think it will have to be a 4x4 caliper but not positive.

7. smprider112

ok, cool....thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I bought my set from Greatlakeoffroad on Ebay. he had good response to my questions and shipped them right away. they seem to fit fine although it was just a test fit until I get some paint on them.

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so are those 2wheel drive or 4wheel drive calipers?? or are they the same? I just went to the U-pull it today and they have TONS of calipers from 1/2 and 3/4 tons but only 2wheel drive trucks...the 4x4's get molested quick...so will these work? or should I just not be cheap and by new ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I do when I want to know about parts interchangability is to go to www.autozone.com and look up the parts from the two different vehicles and see if they are the same part number. I think that all of the calipers on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton 4x4's are the same from 73 to 87 with the exception of the size of the hole where the brake line bolts on, the d44 uses a different size banjo bolt than the 10 bolt which started around '79. If I remember correctly the 2wd calipers are different. I am going to do a disk brake conversion soon and plan to use the SKY brackets and just buy new/remanufactured calipers.

10. smprider112

ok, now one more question...to anybody that has done it...how bad will the brake bias be? I read on the tech writeup about the guy that did the disc conversion had to install some brake bias adjuster to help even the system out...my question is anybody running discs without changing anything else on there brake system, and how did it turn out? Do the rears wanna lock up real easy? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You are going to get different answers from just about everyone cause for some reason it reacts differently to every since vehicle. Best thing to do is to just install it and run with it and see how it reacts. I've got it on my 75 burb and havne't had to do a single thing.

12. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    You are going to get different answers from just about everyone cause for some reason it reacts differently to every since vehicle. Best thing to do is to just install it and run with it and see how it reacts. I've got it on my 75 burb and havne't had to do a single thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it must be if you install it when the moon is full and at the exact moment a lunar eclipse happens then it will work just perfect for you, type of things /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I'm lazy enough if I do it I will just leave it alone...hell brake sliding is fun right?

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so it must be if you install it when the moon is full and at the exact moment a lunar eclipse happens then it will work just perfect for you, type of things /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif If you come over to have me weld on those shock mounts, you can have a look at mine if you want /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. smprider112

ya I think im gonna do that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif