Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt disc issues (cap in center of Eldo calipers????)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74kay5, Apr 19, 2007.

1. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

I did a disc swap on my 14 Bolt FF about 3 months ago and it seemed to be working out fine for a while. The new rotors and pads were beginning to seat and wear in fine with no noise. I got an adjustable proportioning valve and got it set up to work the way I wanted. Then at one point I took a peek under the truck and there was fluid spattered over both of the tires. At first I thought it was gear oil from leaking hub seals but I took off one caliper and it's definatly comming out of it. I used the El Dorado calipers from a bone yard and they were full of fluid when pulled. The fluid isn't gushing out on the ground but when I press on the yellow rubber center of the piston it starts leaking out. OK so I need new calipers or a rebuild kit for them. Now for the second issue. While placing the caliper aside I nudged the rotor and hub assembly and then noticed I was able to move it back and forth. The hub nut must have came loose or was never tight enough. The nut torqued to spec didn't do the trick so is there a better way of getting it tight enough?
    Also can someone tell me why there would be a cap in the middle of a brake piston?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

There is a cup that goes inside the piston and the seal for it must be bad. They sell rebuild kits or just seal kits for those calipers.

3. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

I know they have the seal that goes around the piston but I haven't been able to find parts for the actual piston.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. neverendingproject

Flip the piston over and youll see a mechanism that is the ratchet for the e-brake. Take a little screwdriver to get the cage off, be careful cause theres a spring in there, then take all the guts out and youll see what i mean. The seal thats bad is inside the piston.

Edit: go on partsamerica.com and youll find the seal/rebuild kit.

5. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Cool, that's the answer I was looking for, thanks

6. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

OK, I got the seal kit from napa and it's got everything in it to rebuild the caliper minus the piston which looks salvagable. Now I just need to figure out where all these seals go. I would just look at the old caliper and how I dissasembled it but the problem is that the seals must have been so far gone that they are pretty much non-existant!!! Anyone know of a "how to page" for rebuilding cadillac calipers with pictures? Tons of disc swaps GM Ford and Dodge use these calipers, so there's got to be someone who's done it. I searched for 3 hours yesterday and couldn't come up with anything.

7. neverendingproject

Just put the seals on that fit. They are different sizes. Just look at it and it will come together easier than you think.

8. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

9. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Thanks that's what I needed, what words did you put in for the search? If I can find what I need in 45 seconds instead of 3 hours life will be good from now on. Your Kung Fu is the best.

10. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I think i used "caliper rebuild" and searched in the garage forum... but you have to be a member to have the search function.... so $25, well worth the knowledge, access to increased forums, and parts discounts IMO.