Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt discs, once again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazbrnc, Aug 3, 2001.

1. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I've done numerous searches on this subject, but I still have some questions. I have a 14 bolt ff that I would like to convert to discs. I went to the junkyard an picked up front discs, spindles, calipers, and backing plates off an early 80's 3/4 ton. In most of the 14 bolt disc posts everyone talks about caddy calipers and tsm backing plates. Can I convert to discs with what I have? I'm guessing there may be some machining involved (I haven't tore into the project yet) and that shouldn't be a problem. I don't need e-brakes and the K5 is used 90% off road. I would really like to be able to use what I have and not have to buy anything except new lines and a prop valve. Is it possible, or am I dreaming?

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Probably would be best to get backing plates for it from TSM or some other people who have made em. That way, you don't have to mess with the spindle. I'm trying to remember how the 3/4 ton caliper brackets are, but I'm not sure if it will work on a 14bolt. Everything else will bolt right on (your rotors and calipers) I'm using 3/4 ton calipers and rotors. No ebrake. But I'm looking into Dshaft ebrakes in the future. Btw, if you need a Adjustable Prop valve, I have one forsale. Never used, "Stainless Steel" brand. I paid $50 plus $6something shipping. I'm selling for $38 INCLUDING shipping.
    Let me know if you're interested.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

3. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss, Did you use the tsm brackets? Do they have a web site so I can see how spendy they are? One other thing, do the rotors bolt right up to the existing 14 bolt spindle? I've only worked on c-clip axles so I have no clue what I am getting into. Is that the prop valve you used on your conversion?

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Boss, I would be interested in the proportional valve for $38.00 if you still have it. Send me a address via PM and I'll send a check. Thanks,

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, TSM does not have a website. But their brackets alone cost like $145 or something near that....the complete kit that includes the rotors and nuts and bolts is $299. You'll want the flexible hoses as well...another $50. You have the calipers, so you're cool there.
    The rotors will go onto the 14bolt's stock hub. Remove the hub from the drum. Then put the hub on the rotor. Then yes, that will go onto the 14 bolts stock spindle. Understand?

45acp....I'll send you a PM if this guy doesn't want it.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

6. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

When I called TSM a couple of months ago they wanted closer to $225 for just the brackets. I made my own but you can make the brackets you have work. They will have to have the center machined bigger and the bolt pattern changed to match the bolt pattern that holds the drum brake backing plate. Also will need a spacer to get the brackets out where you need them (which I measured the ones on my frontend). As far mounting the rotors you just press the studs out of your 14ff which will seperate the hub from the drum. put your rotor on inplaceof he drumm and press the studs back in. It is really a fairly simple install.

7. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

I bought my disc brake brackets from a guy here on CK5 for around 55.00 bucks. I'll try to find his address. They work great. That damn TSM kit is to damn high. You have everything else that you need. I used D44 calipers,D44 rotors,and D44 front brake lines . Then bent steel lines to the center of the axel where they met the tee. You shouldn't need a proportioning valve. I just hooked mine up to the factory stuff and it worked fine. I can send pics. if you like......

88 Jimmy,5.7,D44 front,disc brake 14 bolt,4:88 gears,welded front,detroit rear,6" lift

8. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

I believe his name on CK5 was misfit. They fit great. They are a fine product.

9. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Hey Jamie I am interested in seeing some pics if it isn't too much of a hassle. Send me a PM if you get a chance. Thanks for the help Boss, I'm cheap so I will try to get by without a prop valve if I can (it isn't driven on the street too much).

10. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

for the lazy http://www.rockreadyk5.com

12. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I'd love to see pics if anyone has em using all chevy parts to do a rear disc swap!!!!! I have all this stuff laying around!
    Thanx,
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

13. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

All you will need is a set of misfits brackets. Everything else is Chevy parts...

14. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

All you will need is a set of misfits brackets. Everything else is Chevy parts...It works really great.......

Jamiemac

15. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    ill post a pic of the disk swap using chevy stuff and misfits brackets

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

16. dins1

dins1 Registered Member

who is making the caliper brakets and how does one get a hold of them. was the nick name misfit?

72 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban
    71 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban
    79 Camaro RS black & white
    92 GMC suburban 4x4
    All in Webster City, IA

17. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    To check out the pics for the 14FF disk brake brackets bought off of Misfit Check out the Sun Desert Offroad link, its on photo page 2

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann