Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt discs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Jun 7, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i know its been covered a million times.... but i couldnt find the info i needed.

the product review is for a semi floater axle, so it's a bit different...

sooo....
    i can use 76-78 caddy elderado rear calipers
    or
    chevy front calipers? what years? 1/2 ton or 3/4?

chevy front rotors? what years? 1/2 or 3/4?

what kinda prices do these normally run at the parts house?
    just trying to get an idea of what i'm getting myself into.

my 10 bolt has rear calipers & caliper brackets from an 84-86 mustang SVO (has ebrake) i might see if i can make those work since i already have them..... and, it has ifs front rotors.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i know its been covered a million times.... but i couldnt find the info i needed.

the product review is for a semi floater axle, so it's a bit different...

sooo....
    i can use 76-78 caddy elderado rear calipers
    or
    chevy front calipers? what years? 1/2 ton or 3/4?

chevy front rotors? what years? 1/2 or 3/4?

what kinda prices do these normally run at the parts house?
    just trying to get an idea of what i'm getting myself into.

my 10 bolt has rear calipers & caliper brackets from an 84-86 mustang SVO (has ebrake) i might see if i can make those work since i already have them..... and, it has ifs front rotors.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 ton and 3/4 ton calipers are the same.

Rotors are front from the IFS 88 and up 3/4 ton GM trucks.
    If you can get the Caddy calipers for cheap enough, it would be the easiest.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rotors are front from the IFS 88 and up 3/4 ton GM trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm using 1974 front 3/4ton rotors with my caddy calipers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck getting the SVO setup to work. If the calipers take a rotor narrower than 1.25", you will find it near impossible to find 6 or 8 lug rotors with the right dimensions. (bolt pattern, thickness, hub "cutout")

5. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck getting the SVO setup to work. If the calipers take a rotor narrower than 1.25", you will find it near impossible to find 6 or 8 lug rotors with the right dimensions. (bolt pattern, thickness, hub "cutout")

[/ QUOTE ]

my current rotors are 6 lug IFS light duty (thin) rotors. and, the center hole is machined to fit over the axle flange. your right though..... i prolly wont find 8 lug rotors to fit it.

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

OHHHHHHH..... DUDE.......... i'm so retarded..... it never clicked until now......

i've got a whole complete extra '91 10 bolt front including calipers.... those calipers should work shouldn't they??? sweet.... one less thing i have to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

hmmmmmm........ i also have an extra set of 6 lug front hub/rotors...... does anybody make a 6 lug hub for the 14bFF..... that, i could put my extra rotors onto the hubs?? that way i wouldnt have to convert the front to 8 lug, wouldnt have to buy new wheels, & wouldnt have to buy rotors for the rear discs..... hmmmm....

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just go 8 lug. If nothing else you'll get the piece of mind that you've got 8, 9/16" studs instead of 6, 7/16" studs holding your wheels on. Nobody makes hubs anyway. There are ways to make a 14 ff 6 lug, but it involves machine work.

Rotors are cheap. Just get yourself some rotors at the parts store.

Those '91 calipers are going to cause you to lose your e brake, if you care.

8. dyeager535

So what exactly is the application of the rotors you have on there now, (1988 1/2 ton 4wd? For instance) and how thick are they? Machining the rotor is kind of a pain, but if thats all it takes to use a 1" caliper, it's not too big of a deal, rear rotors should last a long time.

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i dont have an ebrake now..... my calipers are missing the arms that actuate it, and i gave up looking for 84 mustang rear caliper parts...... nobody makes them.... i'll prolly just use my extra calipers until i can afford caddy ones.

my current rotors on my 10 bolt are 88 front ifs 1/2 ton 4wd regular cab (which i believe has light duty rotors which are thinner) and, they have the center hole machined to fit over the 10 bolt axle flanges. i had them resurfaced not too long ago, and they are cut as thin as they can go. they were real worn before.

i know, i want to go to 8 lug.... but, the more stuff i have to buy, the longer i have to wait to do the swap. it might be janurary before i can get it done. i've already decided to skip the detroit for now. i have an open carrier that i'll be putting in with the 4.56's, so, whenever i can afford a detroit, i'll just drop it in.

10. dyeager535

I had checked into the '88 IFS stuff, I couldn't find any that were thin enough to use the 79-85 Cadillac stuff on, or Camaro calipers. Those both use rotors under 1" thick, and even the new Astro's are using 1.25" thick rotors, same as the 73-87 trucks, so I just can't believe there are rotors that thin that were used on trucks.

If someone can provide me with a part number, I'd be ecstatic though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A brake lathe can always fit a rotor that is slightly too thick you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

.25" isn't slightly too thick. I doubt you can shave that much off a rotor and have any meat left to it. I'd rather go with a rotor that has thicker face but less distance between the two "halves" where the cooling takes place.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Just go 8 lug. If nothing else you'll get the piece of mind that you've got 8, 9/16" studs instead of 6, 7/16" studs holding your wheels on. Nobody makes hubs anyway. There are ways to make a 14 ff 6 lug, but it involves machine work.

Rotors are cheap. Just get yourself some rotors at the parts store.

Those '91 calipers are going to cause you to lose your e brake, if you care.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 lug 14 bolt FF hubs:

[​IMG]

$500 for a pair though.

Rene

14. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude just buy the rotors, new calipers, pads, brake lines, bolts from the parts store. All of it new is around $100