Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Drums...small vs. large

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 3, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a choice of putting a 14 bolt FF rear under my '81 Suburban with the 13" drums or the smaller 10" (or 11"?) drums. I'm under the impression that the 13" drums add more weight, but also have greater braking ability. I also know that the smaller drum rear I have has new brakes and the 13" drum rear is unknown (as far as brake cond.) Which should I use?

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I've always been told.... BIGGER IS BETTER. I think if your going to use rear drums use the big ones. My blazer has the stocker 10 or 11" ones and I know those suck.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have to agree with rockin, go with the large brakes unless you plan on a rear disc conversion.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

What is a ball park price on doing a rear disc brake conversion, i am in same position as mountain. I can get either the Big or the little drums,

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

This might help make the job easier, look at the e brake cable set up and use one that matches your truck. Disc price will vary depending on what you use. I've heard guys here say they have done it for as little as $200 and some kits run in the $700 range, if you do some searching you should find a bunch of info on disc conversion.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should check with misfit, he is selling the brackets for $65.00 a pair right now. How much will it cost to do the conversion depends on if you want an e-brake or not and if you buy new or rebuilt calipers or go to the salvage yard. I safely think you could do the conversion for under $200.00 using salvage yard calipers and new brake lines with misfits brackets