Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Dually vs SRW

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to be ending up soon with a 14 Bolt FF Dually rear out of a '79 Crew Cab. Is the housing the same (width) as a SRW 14 Bolt?

Hope I'm not re-asking something thats already been asked.

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Crew cab or cab & chassis? There are 2 different dually rears there.

CC uses a D70 which is wider and the C&C uses a narrower 14FF.

The only difference of the 14FF DRW and SRW versions are the bearing hubs and the backing plate mounting flange thats welded on the housing tube.

The length of the 14FF in both are the same from outside of each spindle to spindle.

But when you say crew cab, I'm thinking D70HD rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. mountainexplorer

It is in a 1979 Chevy 1-ton Dually 4x4 Crew Cab, and it is a 14 bolt FF, not a Dana 70. I have a '79 Dually regular cab truck right now with a Dana 70, and had a Dana 70 under an '83 1-ton. They seemed to be wider than normal.

I have seen an '81 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with a 14 bolt before, that looked to have some sort of dually spacers. The guy who has this '79 says they are some sort of a Dually spacer on the 14 bolt, so I was wondering if I took the spacer off if I could use the rear under a SRW truck.

Whats different about the bearing hubs and backing plate mounting flange?

5. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats different about the bearing hubs and backing plate mounting flange?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out Billavista's pictures and info on his 14 bolt bible.

The difference in the bearing hubs on the DRW is the mount surface is recessed back (in) further making the hub body look longer. Notice how the SRW bearing hub body sticks out about 2"? The DRW hub body sticks out somewhere around 5" or 6". The mounting surface for the wheel is back further. Thats what allows the dually rims and tires to sit in more and not stick out so far.

The backing plate mounting flange thats welded to the housing tube is nothing fancy but just inboard more. Take a look at pics on Billavista's pages as I believe he shows some differences between the two.

Just keep in mind, both the DRW and SRW 14FF bare housings are identical in length, etc. The only differences between them are the locations of the backing plate flanges. Other than the 3/4 ton version, the shock mounts and spring perches, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They did make a crewcab 'cab & chassis', and its the same 14FF you find in a regular cab 'cab & chassis'.

The axle shafts are also the same in a DRW C&C as they are on an SRW. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. mountainexplorer

I think I'm just going to have to go and look at this axle in person. Upon reading the info in the article, I'm thinking if it is a true DRW 14 bolt, it would actually just be easier to swap the 4.56 gears and carrier out of it into another regular 3/4 ton housing I have (and weld the spiders while I'm at it- unless I can find a Detroit). and throw on rear discs too.

That would probably be easier than trying to make that Dually rear end bolt up and fit right. I knew spring perches and shock mounts would need to be moved, but if a Dually rear WMS to WMS is 72" and SRW is 67.5", I'll just not even bother with all the changes.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The C&C 14FF measures approx 62-63" WMS. Swapping SRW hubs on gets you the 67.5". Its the Dana 70 from a DRW pickup that's 72" WMS. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mountainexplorer

I don't think this is a C&C 14 bolt (cab and chassis). It just a regular DRW Crew Cab.

Another confusing point: Based on the pics in the 14 bolt Bible, the hubs on the DRW 14 bolt (unless they were Dana 70's) don't look like the 14 bolt I saw under an '81 DRW Crew Cab. It looked just like a regular 14 bolt with Dually spacers on it.

So, is what you are saying (and I am so dense as to just now pick up) that only DRW trucks were Dana 70's, and any Dually 14-bolt setups are considered Cab and Chassis (C&C) 14 bolts, making this supposed 1979 DRW and that '81 DRW Crew Cab 14 bolt classed as C&C 14 bolts?

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Wes, is there a difference between DRW and SRW brake drums? This is assuming the 13" x 3 1/2" drums. Also if there is a difference is there anything else that is different such as backplates?

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is there a difference between DRW and SRW brake drums? This is assuming the 13" x 3 1/2" drums. Also if there is a difference is there anything else that is different such as backplates?

[/ QUOTE ]

The SRW and DRW drums are different in depth. (Assuming both are 13x3.5") Backing plates are the same so long as they're for the 3.5" wide drums/shoes.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, so that would explain why the SRW drums I sold a friend of mine won't allow him to install his dually wheels.

13. thatK30guy

Yep, what u2slow said about the drums and backing plates is all true. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif