Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt e-brake cable compatibility

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 14, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What years of 14 bolts, semi or full, have the same type e-brake hook-up as my 88 Jimmy, meaning no modification or cable swap necessarily, just bolt in?

Thanks

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

'85 and newer - it's the e-brake that has the two unequal length cables coming out of each backing plate. Prior to '85, they came with two, equal length cables - that won't bolt up but is still feasible to get to work.

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've got a 91 with the push in cables...mt 14 bolt is from a 76? mabey and its got the crimp in type...how can i change them over....?

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

i just ran into this problem, my mechanic guy told me about it saying that i couldnt use existing ebrake; he suggested a driveline brake or he would have to rig up everything all over with OEM stuff cause of liability issues.
    He also said that i could ghetto-rig it by buying a few supplies from home depot like a cable and just some how connecting it from my existing parking brake cable to the one on the axle.

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Ive got a pretty good fix for this situation on my webshots page. There is an album there that has pictures and breif descriptions of what to do. If your interested and/or cant figure it out from the pics, email me and maybe i can explain it better.
    All you need is a welder and a piece of pipe. I have had mine done this way for over a year, and use the park brake everytime i park the truck.