Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Easy Swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Jan 28, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

OK, here is my deal. I have a 1987 K-5 that I just bought not long ago. Right now it needs either a new engine, or to rebuild the one in it now (bad rod bearing). I need to have it running by the end of October because I am only 15 years old right now, I get my license on October 30th, and this will be my only car.
    My problem is that I dont really have that much money because I am only 15 and the best job I could get was at Subway. Right now I have about $900. I need
    (1) an engine or rebuild
    (2) a 4 inch suspension lift which I know will cost me around $300 and
    (3) at least some 35's.
    Right now my truck has a 10 bolt front and rear. With 35's I know the rear wont hold up too long. What would be my best bet for a new rear axle, or new front and rear axles, if I will be doing some moderate wheeling like uwharrie, and mud pits that I will spin the tires alot in? I dont need anything too big, expensive, or hard to install. I plan on putting in the suspension and axles myself and I am wondering how hard they will be to install. What is the process?
    Please remember that while I have no expenses, I also have a very small income. My dad will be helping me do all of this stuff, he knows alot about it, but wont let me go nuts with alot of beefier new parts.
    So basically I need inexpensive parts that are easy to install and strong enough for my needs. Please help. Thanks. -Harrison

2. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I am doing a 14bff swap in one of my trucks now,
    1. axle= $135.00 from recycler
    2.gears to match= installed myself $315.00
    3.15" 8 lug rims= $110.00 only two
    4.brakes= $300.00 ( do disc brake swap cheaper)
    5.pinion bearings=$70.00
    dude stick with what you got until it breaks or find one ready to go with matching gears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

i have done acouple of these swaps and on a lift it will only take me an hour to do. Is what i did was when the rear end was about to go i got a 3/4 4x4 truck for $800 and did the swap, both front and rear. the i got a few other peices off the old truck and sold it for 600 bones. These trucks are out there cheap. You just have to look. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif