Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt Eaton Posi any good??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Jan 11, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I found a 10.5" 14FF Eaton posi and was wondering if they are work their weight? A locker wont work in my case so I am looking for some type of posi.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it isn't worn out than it should work pretty good. I would say get it if it has a ratio you want and can get it for the right price.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can still get a rebuild kit for it. That will make it perform better.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They are awesome in 10 and 12 bolts, Id think for the 14bolt its even better with those carbon clutches, and there rebuildable! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK not trying to hyjack but what is the difference between a gov-lok and eaton posi? If they are different than what years came with an eaton posi and are they better than a working gov-lok?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Eaton posi has been around for quite some time, but they have recently changed them around a bit apparently, with the carbon clutches that are available and what not.

Eaton posi just uses springs and clutch plates, as opposed to the 7.5, 8.5, and 9.5" gov-lock which uses more small parts. (gears, weights, so on) Cases must not be as weak with the posi, as you don't hear of them shattering like you do the gov-locks. (besides, not having a governed lockup speed, you don't shock load the rear like a gov-lock does when it locks)

Depending on application they can be great, but for "hard" four wheeling, the general consensus (and my opinion) is that they would suck. Pick a tire up off the ground, and you will more than likely spin only it. (not really a design flaw, just a really heavy vehicle with a lot of weight on one tire)

They slip going around corners, so it should be transparent on-road, like the gov-lock. But again, the built in slip (limited-slip is what GM started calling them instead of posi-traction) is what makes them "bad" for a really tough rig.

Kind of interested to hear what one of the new Eaton units set up with the most amount of clutch preload will do in a truck, but it still can't equal a locker.

7. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I have found a cheap 14ff that is open without the gears I want so I was thinking of throwing in the gears and a new Eaton posi, thats why I asked. I dont need it for "hard" wheeling as rocks and such, but I do love the mud...I am assuming it work as my auburn does in my 10bolt which is fine for what I do currently. They have news for sale on ebay for $475...is it worth that much? Oh...how hard is it to setup a ring & pinion along with a posi unit in a 14ff...I have never done gear work, but would like to try.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

8.5" back in the good days was good eaton clutch disc posi, but since some time in the 70s they became gov lok equipped along with the 12 bolt and such

the 7.5" alot of them actually use the cone type posi units, especially in the third gen firebirds and camaros and such, and probably s-10;s too im sure., just as cheap or even worse than gov lok.,

9. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Here is the one I am looking at... http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/f6/fd/1c_1.JPG
    looks like a cone style posi unit. So you are saying these are as good or worse than the gov lok's? If so then what do I go with if I dont want open or locked 14ff? Since I will most likely be rebuilding the whole axle, the gears bearings and what posi/locker I use will be new or slightly used so I need to figure something out.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check with randys ring and pinion (ring-pinion.com?) and see how much they get for a new eaton posi. For the 7.5 I think it was "only" $300 or so.

Probably work ok for mud, but still probably dependent on how much traction you get. I know if the wheel(s) stop spinning, it will kill you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif