Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hot rod, Aug 28, 2004.

1. hot rod

hot rod Registered Member

Hey all I'm new to this forum, and chevy 4x4's. i'm doing a 3/4 ton conversion and need the help of this group. I've got a 78' blazer that has 10 bolt front 12 bolt rear,i've got a 44/8 lug 4.10 front and a 14 bolt rear from a 73'one ton 2 wd with a 4.10 . can I take the gears out of this 1-ton axle and put them in another 3/4 ton housing I have so its a bolt in ? If I unbolt the pinion housing and bolt it in the 3/4 ton housing is it safe to say the pinion depth is correct? Will I only have to set the back lash? Any help would be great.

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

i'd say just have the perches and shock mounts moved...prolly be easier in the long run...and if u cant weld Im sure someone near u could do it for cheap or free (beer and pizza seems to work on most!!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What youre asking is not entirely posible just go with what else was said. Gear sets are manufact. in SETS so that they mesh correctly, start playing with mismatches and your asking for trouble. Yes everyone has/knows/done it, but look at the wear pattern on the teeth after 20k miles. Just have the perches moved....... soooo much easier.

4. hot rod

I have a race car/chassie guy down the road, but the gears and axles are sweat, can't get the drums off. The other axle has good drums and is a bolt in,acording to my research.It's 400.00 to set one up around here. I think I can set the back lash, but not sure on pinoin depth.

5. hot rod

I'm not tring to mis match, just want to put 4.10 gears from a 1-ton into a 3/4 ton housing that had 3.73. Can i un bolt the pinion housing and bolt it into anouther housing without effecting pinion depth?

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would like to know this as well. I have a 4.10 carrier and pinion to replace my 3.73's and plan on doing the same. As a matter of fact going to pull them out and put them in tomorrow. Not sure when they will make it on the road though.

7. hot rod

Let me know how the swap goes.

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I'd still say move the perches and shock mounts....and as far as getting the old drums off, you're prolly gonna need to back the little brake adjusters off a lil...they are on the back side of the drum through a lil inspection hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. hot rod

Thats what I will probably do.All the brake parts appear locked up. I'll just cut the mount off my 12 bolt.This axle is huge! also having trouble getting leaf spring bushings out of front springs.This started as a small project,but seems to have snow balled.I'm already making sawzall cut lines /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif