Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt F.F.Detroit Retrofitting:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Perhap's You know this already, maybe You don't.

I have both an Eaton rear axle under My truck, and I purchased a 14 Bolt a week ago, to build up for a swap.

I took a look at the axle shaft's, and they are the same length, @31 1/2 short shaft, and 37 1/2 long shaft. Both the same diameter, Eaton/14 Bolt. Eaton 17 Spline, 14 Bolt ? 30?

I then took the side gear's for the Eaton, and they are the same height, diameter etc, they fit into the 14 Bolt Carrier.

The Cross, for the spider's/pinion's, fit's into the 14 bolt carrier as well.

This mean's that the older style, Detroit Locker, [called No-Spin too] will fit into the 14 Bolt carrier.

If You don't want to fork over close to $385.00 for a 14 bolt Detroit, then go to Your local Pic a Part, and look for a Detroit, out of a 1960-1972 Chevy, GMC 3/4 ton Pickup.
    Pick up the Eaton Axle shaft's too, You'll need em to make this work.

Just thought I's pass this info on to You. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Actually if this works the better thing to to would be to use C14FF axle shafts, open carrier and detroit to upgrade the Eaton from 17 spline to 30 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And those 14 bolt detroits are more like $300 if you know where to shop /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

so why are you going to the 14 bolt if you are going to run the old axles?

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The Axle's make no difference to Me. The set in the truck now have over 100,000 on em and are still going strong.

The only reason is, a pinion bearing set for the Eaton, run's right at $205.00 just for pinion bearing's and a race, both race's are machined into one piece, it's preset, no way to adjust it other than, pinion depth.

And as You know, the Eaton style is a drop out center section, just one more place for an oil leak. Drop out to housing.

To try to save money, Why buy a new Detroit for $380.00 when You already have one? And You can pick up an Old Eaton Carrier, with a Detroit here, for around $30.00 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And finding Gear's for the old Eaton is getting hard, You can find 4:56, 5:13, all day long but they are'nt in good condition. There is one company, can't remember their name, that make's new gear's for the Eaton but only in 3:90, and 4:10. At $400.00 a set. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14 Bolt's have a Slew of available Gear's for them, for $170.00, $190.00 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif