Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt F/F or S/F?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badthorn, Aug 9, 2000.

1. badthorn

badthorn Registered Member

I want to know which one is better and how can I identify which one is what?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

the FF has a 10.5 ring gear and the s/f has a 9.5 ring gear. The FF will have a "hub like" protrusion from the wheel that has 8 or so small bolts on it that hold the axle in, the s/f will look like a 12 bolt with no protrusion.

The FF has a "floating axle" and the truck rides on the bearing and just spins the axle(somewhat blunt but..) The s/f the truck rides on the axle and the bearing so the bearing is kind of doing double duty.

The FF is stronger, but you will loose about @ inches of ground clearence, where ith the s/f, you only loose an inch if you are moving up from a 12 bolt.

I heard someone say tht the strength of a 14 s/f is abut equivalent to a D60, but I dont really know.

As far as which one to get, that seems to be a personal opinion. Some like the FF for Brute strength an some like the s/f for better ground clearance and a little lose of strength compared to the FF.

HTH, BTW I have a s/f for sale in the Parts forum. :)

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have an S/F supposedly, but I have the hub-like protrusions and my pumpkin is huge. I do have 6-lug wheels, though. Maybe I have some sort of hybrid???

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have never seen a F.F. 14 bolt with 6 lugs. As far as I know they all come with 8 lugs. Look in the technical section of this site. There is an axle identification section, this should clear up any confusion [​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

6. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I checked the axle chart on the tech page, and mine is the "heavy" one, and I have 6-lug wheels. I was curious since I have the hub-like thing coming out through the center of the wheel.

[​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well [​IMG] damned if I did'nt learn me sumptin today [​IMG]. Thats pretty cool.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is there anyway you can post a picture of your rear diff.....I'm just curious as to what you have.

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Sure, I can get some pics up in a day or so, no problemo. I am curious to see what I have myself! As I mentioned before, the pumpkin looks exactly like the full-floater on the axles tech page, and I have the hub protrusions but I have 6-lug wheels. The axle cost me $1000, but so far it is well worth it.

[​IMG]

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Not sure if this helps but here's a FF 14 bolt showing the hub. (I started to remove the hub bolts for the TSM install)

[​IMG]

Is this what yours looks like except it has 6 lugs?

Oh yeah, notice the eight hub bolts. If yours has the 8 hub bolts and the 6 wheel lugs, then I'm at a loss since I've never seen that.

Sorry the picture is so big.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

That's it exactly, except that the bolts on mine are smooth, with a hex on the inside. There are eight of them, and I have 6-lug wheels. Pics in a day or so, but in the meantime your pic fits the bill! The guy who sold it to me said that it was a rebuit axle from a tow truck, if that means anything.

[​IMG]

12. Shawn

WEIRD! You may just have a very rare axle. Wanna sell it??? Just kidding!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

13. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you can't get them pictures faster? Just kidding. You got use die to see these pictures. [​IMG]

Donovan

14. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I was wondering, I'm planning on looking for a 14 bolt S/F, since I do wanna keep my truck 6 lug. The question I have is, will the S/F be okay to use with 35s and a 4" lift? That's about as big as my truck is getting. The truck doesn't do any hardcore offroading. It plays in the mud and it went on some rocks a few weeks ago. I also plan on keeping it a daily driver, since insurance is insanely high in NJ, and I can't afford to have another vehicle. So, will the 14 bolt S/F be the perferable swap?

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

15. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

The lift you have has little to do with the axle you have. You could run a 14-bolt with no lift at all, but your rear diff would be REALLY low, as you wouldn't be able to run big tires. Steve, the site admin is running a 14-bolt FF with a 4" lift, so I am sure you'd be fine.

[​IMG]

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would say the s/f 14 would be more than strong enough for 35" tires. If you look at the specs, the s/f 14 should be pretty comparable to a Dana 60.

Ggallin - what is the diameter (how big around) is the protruding hub? Do you have the standard 6 on 5.5" wheels. The reason I'm asking is that it seems like on a normal f/f 14, the protruding hub is too large to allow enough room for the center hole in the rim and the lugs to fit. Maybe you have a custom machined hub?

17. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

My wheels are the standard 6 on 5.5 The protruding hubs look like a tight fit, but I don't think that anything was ground off of them. Pics will be up later today, I am going to drink some beer and have some food, then get a disposable camera and shhot some shots o' the axle.

[​IMG]

18. Shawn

Just don't over do it on the beer! I want to see pics of the hub and not something you may encounter at the bar with beer goggles!

HAHA Just kidding [​IMG]

Have a good one!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods