Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF advice please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Oct 8, 2005.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of questions.
    1:On a pre "88 truck is the width of a FF 14 bolt from a dually different from a single wheel truck.

2: For the guys running front 10 bolts or Dana 44's and rear 14 bolts, do the big drums cause any problems, like rear brake lock up.

I'm thinking of finally putting the big diff in so I would appreciate your comments,
    Thanks

2. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes. Its narrower.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I never had any brake issuse with my 14 bolt and 10 bolt. Unless I had to put my foot to the floor, then that was fun, but normal everday driving, no problems. Just keep in mind everyones truck is different, nothing a little adjusting cant fix.

5. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. Got what I needed to know.

6. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I've been checking out the link Big Country X gave me and for width of differentials it sys 67.5" WMS-WMS. I'm not sure what WMS is. Does it mean to machine surface of hub where axle bolts on or where wheel bolts on? Am I way off? Anybody know? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

w=wheel

m=mounting

s=surface

and the dully has totaly diffrent brake dimensions even the flang on the axle where the backing plate bolts on is spaced diffrent.

if you need a single setup just find one if dully just find one. much easyer than converting one. also if single and want track width to match the front van axle 3" wider .

8. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Wheel mounting surface. Seems pretty obvious now. :doah:
    Thanks for the advice.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes, mine did, i kept the stock 1/2 braking crap on the front, and switched to the bigger 3/4 ton 13.5"x2.5" drum setup, and was having some problems with rear braking, was locking up too easily, sounds weird, but when i switched to the larger rotors up front it was not as noticable, then went to rear disk, and is non-existant, the brakes all work, but still feel alittle "soft" at times, i think i still need to work out some bugs in the system.

10. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I Guess I'll have to try and see how it is. I won't be converting untill I find some 8 lug front end parts and 8 lug rims used. I figure I'd better stay with the 10 bolt up front cause I've already got 3 year old inner and outer axles and a detroit locker in the front. I don't want to pay for the D60 and again for the locker. Disks on the rear sound good but I already have a ride height rear brake limiter in my tool box I figure I could try this. Has any one ever tried this when converting to 14 bolt rear?

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have the brake limiter valve on my Crew and Burb. I'm not convinced they are effective. The one on my Burb is now disconnected since I swapped in the 14FF. IMO, either truck is fine with full-force braking on the 13x3.5" drums because they have so much weight over the axle anyways (Crew has a logger's box BTW).

12. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'm not an expert, but when I went to the 14bff in the rear/ 8 lug d44 front, I changed the master on my 1990 to a 3/4 ton master and it stops better than it ever did. The front brakes are a joke too. The rotors had been metal to metal on the front axle for who knows how long, were rusty as hell and I just put my old calipers and worn out pads on the front. To make a long story short, even with front brakes that were way less than ideal, the big rears with a 3/4 ton master made it stop better than with good 1/2 ton brakes all the way around.