Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF and SF factory locking units

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 1, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

somone who knows for sure explain to me what factory G80 units were installed in the 9.5" and the 10.5" 14 bolts and what years

i know that the SF used gov lok, but what about the FF ? i have never seen a gov lok in an FF, so i assume they were detroit or GM clutch type locking units ?

thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I believe the 14BFF came with the Gov-lock and the Detroit in some applications. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The FF units are Gov-Loks as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

GM has the name "posi" and "gov-lock" as trademarks (they are the same thing however). The Gov-loc came from use in military vehicles and was known as the goevernment locker, gov-lock for short. The 10, 12, 9.5, 10.5, all had an option for a "posi". The actual design is very similar in the 10, 12, and 9.5 units. The 10.5 unit is more of a clutch type system. The detroit was only offered in the 10.5, usually in 1 ton's and duallies. All CUCV's (government GM's) had gov-loc's in the 10, 12, 9.5 and a detroit in the 10.5. Some RARE dually 1 ton CUCV's came with a detroit in the 10.5 and a true trac in the front. Otherwise no GM truck came with a limited slip in the front from the factory. I'm not sure this will help much as far as the years are concerend but it is interesting info on GM traction.

p.s. GM still uses gov-loc's on the Z71 trucks

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Posi and Gov-lock were never the same thing. Plenty of GM's got a clutch type limited slip maketed by GM as "Posi-traction".

Gov-lock is not named because it was found in military app's.
    It is activated with a speed senstive govenor and centrifugal force. It takes wheel spin to activate it or lock it...and over a certain speed it will unlock (that's the governed part)The gov-lock is marketed as a 'locker' by GM.

I have not seen a Detroit offered as any sort of option in a civilian truck. CUCV's did get the Detroit in the M1008's.

Rene

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Posi and Gov-lock were never the same thing. Plenty of GM's got a clutch type limited slip maketed by GM as "Posi-traction".

Gov-lock is not named because it was found in military app's.
    It is activated with a speed senstive govenor and centrifugal force. It takes wheel spin to activate it or lock it...and over a certain speed it will unlock (that's the governed part)The gov-lock is marketed as a 'locker' by GM.

I have not seen a Detroit offered as any sort of option in a civilian truck. CUCV's did get the Detroit in the M1008's.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second, you are correct.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

also as far as i have sene G80 was the only RPO code for any type of locking or posi axle since sometime after 72

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Correct. Car or truck, G80 is the code for some sort of traction aid in the rear axle. Whether it be cone, plate, etc "limited slip" (or "posi-traction", earlier on) or a Gov-Lock, G80 denotes a non-open rear axle.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool i learnt me somethin today!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that the posi and gov-loc were the same. Oh well I still don't know every thing, but thanx to Rene I am now one step closer. Sorry for the mis-information.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I was under the impression that the posi and gov-loc were the same. Oh well I still don't know every thing, but thanx to Rene I am now one step closer. Sorry for the mis-information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I now know about Chevy's I learned from people here...and after 2 1/2 years I know a lot more but still learn stuff everyday. Honestly, knowing Gov-lock trivia is pretty far down the list of important Chev info to know. It's a POS and that's all anyone needs to know IMHO. The guys at Eaton should be ashamed for building such a fragile 'locker', and especially for designing it to unlock when you need it the most. <shrug>

Rene

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Correct. Car or truck, G80 is the code for some sort of traction aid in the rear axle. Whether it be cone, plate, etc "limited slip" (or "posi-traction", earlier on) or a Gov-Lock, G80 denotes a non-open rear axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i always assumed, good deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

although i know that sometime in the 67-72 years there was another type of traction unit that was not G80 code, ill have to look in the 67-72 RPO codes book pages i have here again from GM and see what it was,.

hmm

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

Everything I now know about Chevy's I learned from people here...and after 2 1/2 years I know a lot more but still learn stuff everyday. Honestly, knowing Gov-lock trivia is pretty far down the list of important Chev info to know. It's a POS and that's all anyone needs to know IMHO. The guys at Eaton should be ashamed for building such a fragile 'locker', and especially for designing it to unlock when you need it the most. <shrug>

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] I sort of disagree with you Rene, I do agree that the gov-lok in the 10B, 12B, and 14BSF is junk basically and "fragile" but far as I know the gov-lok in the 14BFF isn't bad strength wise and if it isn't worn out than it doesn't work half bad either. I have never heard of a govlok in a 14FF break before and I have had good luck with the one I have in my 14BFF. I usually always have both wheels powering when I am going strait offroad. It does unlock as soon as I turn but If I really get on it hard it will lock back up. The only complaint I have with it is that it does take a little more throttle to make it engage than I like giving. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I am very interested in how well the new gov-lok works in the new AAM 11.5 14BFF. It is supposedly very beefed up and is considered a locker because there is the trac right LS also available for that monster rearend, There is a very informative article in fourwheeler this month about that new GM axle compared to the Dana 80. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad had talked about the Gov-lock for his truck, which is used off-road, but mainly just hunting, and it's #1 job is to tow a 10,000# trailer.

Th gov-lock is a HORRIBLE idea in his case, since it isn't locked up when you need to start moving! With that kind of load, or any situation that you may find yourself in where you need to start moving without wheel spin (or the least amount possible) the gov-lock doesn't let you do this.

Yes, it does lock up at a relatively low axle differential speed, but it still needs to take up the "slack" first. Most people I know, myself included, don't want to have one wheel start spinning just to get the other to lock in.

I think it's a good idea to unlock over a certain MPH, and eaton probably designed it to operate it in the ranges most people needed in new trucks.

All in all not a bad idea, but poorly exexcuted in the smaller axles. I don't know why they even bother with gov-locks anymore when they have the electric ones. Shouldn't be much more expensive to build one of those, save the wiring, than the machining and what not required for the gov-lock.