Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF axle seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just picked up an '82 with a 14 bolt FF. I've got a problem with the axle seals not sealing on the differential housing. Looks like some grit got between the lip of the seal and the wear surface on the housing resulting in a few grooves. I've repaired this problem on some of the larger trucks and trailers by installing a thin sleeve over the wear surface. Does anyone know if one of the seal manufacturers sells anything like this for the 14 bolt differentials? If so, how much would I be looking at and where can I find it?

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Yes they make the things you're thinking about. I call them "speedy sleeves". I took my GM seal to a Heavy Duty commercial truck parts store and ordered a pair. They are around $25 each but well worth it. Use a piece of muffler pipe to install-I had a friend flare the pipe to just fit the sleeve, you'll see what I mean when you're trying to install. Hope this helps

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I knew they were out there but I couldn't remember what they were called. Must be that old age thing kicking in.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just picked up the sleeves for the axle repair. Pricey at $40 each but cheaper than a new housing. Plan on putting them on this weekend and changing out the rear brakes while I'm at it. Has anyone had any problems with this type of repair on the 14 bolt ff?