Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF axle swap questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88sub4x4, Sep 22, 2002.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I am interested in swapping out my 10 bolt rear in my 88 suburban for a 14 bolt FF. I read the article in the technical section but am a little confused as to what this means.
    "On newer Chevy's, the brake backing plate (picture H) will have to be changed to a press in style backing plate from a 14-bolt (SF) with 13" brakes."
    So I will need a SF backing plate? What is the reason for not being able to use the backing plate that is already on the 14 bolt FF?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would think it has to do with the e-brake cable arrangement. I think other solutions can be devised.

3. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

I did the swap on my 88 Jimmy. The donor diff was from an 80 3/4 ton Chevy. I had to take off the backing plates to modify it to take the push in style E-brake cable. My brother had some scrap pieces of metal and built it up like what the stock 10 bolt plates looked like and drilled the holes out to take the cable. Other then that it was an easy swap. I did try ordering new backing plates to match but the dealer said they were unavailable.

4. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I modified the backing plate on mine to make it work. I had the same prob as you and just did a little fix.
    I'll post some pics in a few so you can see.

Charles