Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF Axleshafts -- are they balanced?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Are the axleshafts on a full floating 14 bolt balanced in anyway?

I have removed and replaced the axleshafts many times and never had a problem, but last weekend I replaced a rear wheel cylinder and now I'm starting to get a vibration.

The vibration seems to be relative with speed, but is present at any speed. It just gets worse at certain speeds.

Do the axleshafts need to line up with something on the drum? I know the drums are weighted to balence them out, but have no idea on the shafts.

Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I dont think axle shafts are balanced. If its happening at all speed then I would check your tires. It sounds like you have a seperatd tire. If its not that then check your u joints.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Yea, the first thing I thought of was the tires; but they don't even have 500 miles on them and still look brand new. I checked the weights and they are all still there, so balance shouldn't be an issue.

The vibration is sometimes acompanied with a resonation 'whirl', which is making me think it's something in the rear end. The steering wheel stays perfectly smooth, so I don't believe it's coming from the front.

I checked my U-Joints and they are tight, no play in them at all.
    I suppose it could be the tranni or the transfer case, but I'm leaning more towards the rear for now. Maybe replacement bearings are in order??

Thanks for the reply,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

4. 74Roadster

74Roadster Registered Member

Maybe the wheel bearing retainer nut isn't tight enough and the bearing is set too loose. The axle shaft is located inside the diff by the side gears in the carrier itself and bolt to the hub flange on the ends so locating it can't be a problem. If the bearing was set too loose it would probably vibrate though.

74 roadster in progress [​IMG]