Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14-bolt ff - bearing and race removal question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Apr 6, 2002.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I need to replace the bearings and races in my 14-bolt ff. Is there some specific tool that I need to remove the snap ring that the outer race is pressed up against? I have broken two snap ring pliers. The largest needle nose pliers that I can find will not do the job either. Any hints?
  2. just did this today. used a pry bar or long screwdriver to get the big retaining ring out of its groove. then used channel locks to take it out. then you can flip the hub over and pound the old race out.
  3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Feb 20, 2000
    I bought a pair of the extra long needle nose pliers, I mean like 24" long and they worked sweet. You can apply just enough force to squash the rings then lift them out. Its getting the outer races to come out thats killing me.
  4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    With a large socket on the inner race of the bearing you can knock the bearing and race out of the hub easily. It will not ruin the bearing like I am sure people are going to tell you it will. Just make sure that the socket stays flat against the bearing race and comes out straight and doesn't cock sideways on you.