Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF Bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k20, Jan 6, 2002.

1. 73k20

73k20 Registered Member

Is there supposed to be two bearings, a large and small one on the pinion? I ask this because there is a small opening inside the case where the pinion stabs into next to the ring gear that looks like it should have a bearing for the pinoin to ride in.

Who said size doesn't matter?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yes, there is supposed to be a bearing in the housing near the ring gear for the pinion bearing, this would be called a pinion support bearing. there are also the other two bearings in the pinion support that comes out of the housing.

3. 73k20

73k20 Registered Member

I appreciate the info.
    So is the bearing actually bearings like the rest of the pinion bearings but just a smaller set or is it like a pilot bearing similar to what is in the end of a crankshaft?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The bearing is similiar to the other pinion bearings with the exception that the bearing rollers are not tapered like the others.

5. 73k20

73k20 Registered Member

OK, Thanks for your help. The reason I didn't know what type of bearing or even if any was used was, All my pinion bearings went out and when I pulled it down to change the chewed up gears, there wasn't a bearing in the housing for the pinion. I guess that's the bearings and bearing cage that I pulled out of the bottom of the case. Thanks again...